Second bachelor's? International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serenamedschool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
This questions is probably here but here it goes:
I have a bachelor's degree in International Relations from a university in mexico. I came to Texas and I've been a bilingual teacher for 4 years now. I just received my green card and I decided to get into medical school finally. My husband supports me 100% and I'm all over the place finding the right thing to do.

My GPA is less than 3.0 which is bad but it's from a international institution. It's already evaluated and it's valid here. My advisor says that I should do post baccalaureate for premed or second degree in science.

Have you heard something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
This questions is probably here but here it goes:
I have a bachelor's degree in International Relations from a university in mexico. I came to Texas and I've been a bilingual teacher for 4 years now. I just received my green card and I decided to get into medical school finally. My husband supports me 100% and I'm all over the place finding the right thing to do.

My GPA is less than 3.0 which is bad but it's from a international institution. It's already evaluated and it's valid here. My advisor says that I should do post baccalaureate for premed or second degree in science.

Have you heard something like this?
Yes.

I would guess that you'd need all your pre-reqs done here, at a minimum, and probably more than that. Maybe not a second degree, but close. I've heard of others who've done this in TX with some pre-reqs and a bunch of CLEP. I'll be testing this theory next June (no CLEP, just US credits but without a second bachelor's). Not in TX though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

I would guess that you'd need all your pre-reqs done here, at a minimum, and probably more than that. Maybe not a second degree, but close. I've heard of others who've done this in TX with some pre-reqs and a bunch of CLEP. I'll be testing this theory next June (no CLEP, just US credits but without a second bachelor's). Not in TX though.

Do you have a foreign degree also?

Do you have a foreign degree also?
Yes, and it's not from Canada. So I'm going through the same process as you. I have taken about 65-70 credits so far in the US.

English I, II
Psych I, II
Soc I
Anthro I
Spanish I, II, III
Bio I, II
Phy I, II
Chem I, II
OChem I

The process is tedious and unnecessary but it is how you play. I have a minimum of 3 more. OChem II, Bio III, Biochem. At that point I'll have around 72-74, so if I need to hit 90, I will be able to finish the rest 14-16 units by taking History, Philosophy, Basket Weaving, Sky Gazing, Navel Gazing, etc. I'm actually interested in taking Spanish IV and Conversational Spanish, but at my CC, those courses tend to be underenrolled and usually get cancelled in week 2. And it's been 2 years since I took Spanish III now.

And
Yes, and it's not from Canada. So I'm going through the same process as you. I have taken about 65-70 credits so far in the US.

English I, II
Psych I, II
Soc I
Anthro I
Spanish I, II, III
Bio I, II
Phy I, II
Chem I, II
OChem I

The process is tedious and unnecessary but it is how you play. I have a minimum of 3 more. OChem II, Bio III, Biochem. At that point I'll have around 72-74, so if I need to hit 90, I will be able to finish the rest 14-16 units by taking History, Philosophy, Basket Weaving, Sky Gazing, Navel Gazing, etc. I'm actually interested in taking Spanish IV and Conversational Spanish, but at my CC, those courses tend to be underenrolled and usually get cancelled in week 2. And it's been 2 years since I took Spanish III now.

And how are your odds of getting into medical school? Have you heard similar stories?

And how are your odds of getting into medical school? Have you heard similar stories?
It is difficult to predict odds because you and I are not "normal" applicants (unless we get a 2nd bachelor's in the US). Your pre-med advisor has probably never seen anyone like you, so it is difficult for them to advise you.

I have heard stories of folks being successful with 30-40 units plus CLEP, and folks with 60-90 credits without CLEP. And there are probably others who chose to do a full bachelor's. Cases like yours and mine are not "normal" so it is not easy to predict odds. Your pre-med advisor is likely not going to be much help.

It is my opinion that at a minimum, you will need basic pre-reqs done here. Phy I, II, Bio I, II, Chem I, II, OChem I, II. Maybe even Biochem, English I, II, Soc/Psych. If you plan for those, you are most likely OK, but you'll have to check with individual schools. All of that adds up to a minimum of 2 years I think. So plan accordingly.