Second cycle with NO interviews..... advice PLEASE???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So, this is my second cycle (with it looks like) unfortunately no interviews. My first cycle I did Early Decision with my state school and was given some bad and ignorant advice(unintentionally) that applying and sending in my app a little later would have no effect on my chances for ED. This past cycle I applied Regular M.D. and got my AMCAS in on the end of June of last year. I know it was a bit late, but I had personal reasons that unfortunately delayed my submission. I will plan to send in my application on the first day this upcoming cycle. I know my stats are low, and I completed a Master's in Pharmacology with around a ~3.5 GPA (with an upward trend), and my past two MCAT attempts are 498 and 497 respectively (with a combined score of 502).

I'm wondering what all of your recommendations are going forward please because I'm wondering, if taking graduate level and/or undergraduate level (3000+) biomedical and/or related would help my application, as well as improving my MCAT score? I should be able to get a 510, close to it, or even more this next time hopefully? It's REALLY disconcerting to know I didn't get a SINGLE interview for MD OR DO, but I know my stats weren't so great, so I know the reasons, and I'm not being delusional or anything..... 😔😞😓 Thank you all so much for your time, insight, and assistance..... it is all greatly appreciated!!!!! ..... ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

So, this is my second cycle (with it looks like) unfortunately no interviews. My first cycle I did Early Decision with my state school and was given some bad and ignorant advice(unintentionally) that applying and sending in my app a little later would have no effect on my chances for ED. This past cycle I applied Regular M.D. and got my AMCAS in on the end of June of last year. I know it was a bit late, but I had personal reasons that unfortunately delayed my submission. I will plan to send in my application on the first day this upcoming cycle. I know my stats are low, and I completed a Master's in Pharmacology with around a ~3.5 GPA (with an upward trend), and my past two MCAT attempts are 498 and 497 respectively (with a combined score of 502).

I'm wondering what all of your recommendations are going forward please because I'm wondering, if taking graduate level and/or undergraduate level (3000+) biomedical and/or related would help my application, as well as improving my MCAT score? I should be able to get a 510, close to it, or even more this next time hopefully? It's REALLY disconcerting to know I didn't get a SINGLE interview for MD OR DO, but I know my stats weren't so great, so I know the reasons, and I'm not being delusional or anything..... 😔😞😓 Thank you all so much for your time, insight, and assistance..... it is all greatly appreciated!!!!! ..... ☺️
Your MCAT scores are really what's killing your chances. Applying with them to any MD school and most DO were simply donations. Also, for MD, a research MS (which your MS sounds like) isn't going to be counted. Furthermore, you should have aced that MS...like 3.7+

I suggest doing an SMP at a program with good linkage.

I can't recommend a retake of the MCAT. You've mostly likely hit your plateau. Quoting the wise Homeskool: Taking the MCAT is like getting married: ideally you only do it once, and the more times you do it the worse you start looking to suitors with good judgment.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody,

Hi, combining (superscoring) your MCAT score doesn't do anything for yourself and most schools - your scores are 498 and 497, not 502. Schools are more likely to average your scores (497.5 + averaged with any future tests). Your problem here is your MCAT which is already low and has a slight downward trend. Unfortunately, You will need to retake once again. You need a 505 minimum for DO. Focus on DOs for now. Don't take it until your practice tests show 508+.

Your Master's program (3.5 GPA) is good enough for DOs. If you had a 3.8+ here maybe it could have compensated for a low MCAT at some DO schools.

Together, your MCAT is low and your GPA is average for DOs. One really doesn't compensate for the other. If your undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.0, you want to consider taking some courses to get it to 3.0 so you avoid getting screened out.. these would be undergraduate courses only.

If you want to consider MD, you have to shoot for 512+. I really say, don't worry about this and put all your energy on the MCAT then see what happens later. Study for a lot for months and don't apply this year. Don't rush, give yourself time. You got this. Gluck.

Edit: What @Goro said.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA ? Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to ?

Reactions: 1 user
What are your extracurriculars like? Any shadowing, volunteer, or work experience? I'm sure you have, but I think I would have a better understanding about your whole applications. Stats are very similar to mine, but I think what compensated was my PS, clinical experience, and perseverance. I do agree with Goro about the MCAT, it seems like you plateaued and won't score any higher. BUT if you believe you can score higher AND you know what was hindering you then by all means, take it again. Schools want to see an upward trend in your MCAT score, but of course the more times you take it they start to question "How come you couldn't do this in the first 1-3 tries?"

your mcat is terrible unfortunately. you need to improve that significantly before applying again

Reactions: 1 users