Second guessing dentistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0rgansm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel as though I was caught up in the opportunity for patient interactions and the independence found in dentistry, rather than the actual procedures performed by a dentist. Seeing as how tuition is rapidly ruining the professions pliability, I began to really think about how I will be spending the rest of my life as a dentist.

I honestly do not feel passion when I peer into a patients mouth as my dentist drills away. Though the process is somewhat cool, I honestly couldn't put myself in a scenario where I would absolutely love doing the handful of common procedures for the rest of my life.

Do all of you truly see yourselves enjoying this type of work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I enjoy the work, yeah. It takes quite a bit of hand skills and that part I enjoy, as well as getting to know my patients (and the community as an extension).

If you don't see yourself enjoying the field, don't go into it.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel as though I was caught up in the opportunity for patient interactions and the independence found in dentistry, rather than the actual procedures performed by a dentist. Seeing as how tuition is rapidly ruining the professions pliability, I began to really think about how I will be spending the rest of my life as a dentist.

I honestly do not feel passion when I peer into a patients mouth as my dentist drills away. Though the process is somewhat cool, I honestly couldn't put myself in a scenario where I would absolutely love doing the handful of common procedures for the rest of my life.

Do all of you truly see yourselves enjoying this type of work?

We, as humans, tend to complicate things--whether it's a relationship or a simple math problem convoluted with unnecessary verbiage. What doesn't need to be complicated is your choice in your future career. Don't like it? Don't do it.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
We, as humans, tend to complicate things--whether it's a relationship or a simple math problem convoluted with unnecessary verbiage. What doesn't need to be complicated is your choice in your future career.
okay dalai lama

Reactions: 12 users
I think it is important to get a lot of shadowing experience and seeing what the field is truly like to have the most confidence in your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard from a lot of people on here and in real life that they thought dentistry was going to get boring fast (based on only shadowing and looking up things online), but after they started working in the clinic themselves with actual real-life cases, all those complaints went away

Don't know how true that exactly is, but I guess the moral is: tough out the grind of the first couple years of school, then you'll probably start to appreciate and enjoy the field more

But of course, if you completely resent dentistry at this point, that's another matter

Reactions: 6 users
You're not really going to know whether you will enjoy doing these procedures until you actually do them yourself. I've always found soccer boring to watch, but I enjoyed playing it nonetheless.

Reactions: 9 users
Is it fair to say that if you don't really enjoy assisting that you probably won't enjoy the dentist's chair either?

Is it fair to say that if you don't really enjoy assisting that you probably won't enjoy the dentist's chair either?
Not necessarily IMO. But I've seen one of my friends that used to be pre-dental and he hated dentistry when he shadowed, but then started to love it once he started assisting however. Now he is a D2 and still in love with the profession.

okay dalai lama

IMG_7628.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard from a lot of people on here and in real life that they thought dentistry was going to get boring fast (based on only shadowing and looking up things online), but after they started working in the clinic themselves with actual real-life cases, all those complaints went away

Don't know how true that exactly is, but I guess the moral is: tough out the grind of the first couple years of school, then you'll probably start to appreciate and enjoy the field more

But of course, if you completely resent dentistry at this point, that's another matter

I just don't see how so many pre-dents commit to dental school without ever really experiencing the profession. Say for example medical school, where students go through various clinical rotations in order to find their niche, and then commit. What if when you pick up the drill and get your hands in someones mouth we just don't like it? Will we just join the other nagging dentists on dentaltown who hate their job? This is just such a huge life choice and now that I am so close to having to make a decision, I just don't know what to do.

I just don't see how so many pre-dents commit to dental school without ever really experiencing the profession. Say for example medical school, where students go through various clinical rotations in order to find their niche, and then commit. What if when you pick up the drill and get your hands in someones mouth we just don't like it? Will we just join the other nagging dentists on dentaltown who hate their job? This is just such a huge life choice and now that I am so close to having to make a decision, I just don't know what to do.
Dental students go through rotations as well.
Your perspective of the profession changes as you go along the educational process. Sometimes people realize dentistry just isn't for them. Being a Pre dental student is so different from being a dental student. I'm sure the same is true for a dental student transitioning into practice.

I'm only a student, but through life experiences I've become confident that I can learn to love things worth doing even when I don't like them at first. I think you can too if you have an open mind and an assiduous work ethic. When I was younger, my family pressured me to take music lessons to perpetuate a family tradition. I hated it originally, but the ritualistic nature of daily technical practice gradually incorporated the music into my core personal identity. And then, when I began to master some of the techniques, I gained almost a spiritual sense of fulfillment--my successes turned my hobby into a calling. That's how I learned to become passionate about a technical skill.

I imagine that the same principle applies to the procedural aspects of dentistry (given that you already know through shadowing that you would like to treat patients and potentially manage a business). Again, I'm only a student, so experienced dentists can speak to this point better than I can. But in general, people tend to like doing things when they become good at them to some degree.

Moreover, there are so many things you can do with a dental education besides general practice if you are a motivated student. The oral surgeons I've shadowed told me that they were originally driven to specialize out of a dislike for operative dentistry moreso than a passion for OMFS, and yet they are now very satisfied (and successful) with the work they do. Some dentists have even made careers out of doing non-clinical work, such as research, academic administration, policy, etc.

Lastly, if you manage to pay off your student debt in a reasonable time frame and still hate the work you do, you could switch to working as a part-time associate (say, two days per week) and still make a living wage. Or you could change careers completely. This might not be possible for everyone these days, but dentistry isn't necessarily a life sentence.

Choosing to commit to a profession is indeed a huge decision (and an increasingly risky one), but remember that dentistry will only be one part of your life; there are many other parts (e.g. family, religion, hobbies, community service) from which to draw meaning and happiness no matter how your career unfolds. Sometimes I also worry about whether my dental career will be a bust, whether I will ever get out of student debt, etc. But when I see homeless people freezing on the street, immigrant deliverymen running around the city doing backbreaking work for minimum wage, or even my investment banker friends making money but doing meaningless work, I realize that my worst case scenario is still what most of the world can only dream of: doing work that helps people and living a middle-class lifestyle in a "first-world" country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going into a field/profession that has little appeal is a recipe for disaster.

Damn do i hate watching/assisting root canals, but i'm sure they have to be much more fun actually being the one to do them. On the other hand, I get such a rush from implants even though i'm only assisting. I enjoy assisting as it is, but i'm certain I will enjoy more so doing the actual work. If you're just shadowing by standing over someone's shoulder as they work, that's extremely boring. Get your hands dirty and you'll get a sense if this is for you.

Damn do i hate watching/assisting root canals, but i'm sure they have to be much more fun actually being the one to do them. On the other hand, I get such a rush from implants even though i'm only assisting. I enjoy assisting as it is, but i'm certain I will enjoy more so doing the actual work. If you're just shadowing by standing over someone's shoulder as they work, that's extremely boring. Get your hands dirty and you'll get a sense if this is for you.
I hate all assisting haha but maybe thats cause the dentist I work for is a dick

Just got accepted this cycle and constantly go through the same internal questioning process. Untraditional applicant here. I'm in my lower 30s and my current profession is recording studio owner, audio recording engineer, music producer. I've had my business for almost 10 years now. I love what I do and feel great satisfaction from the services I provide. I've established awesome relationships with my clients. I feel as if I'm ready for a career change (as most of my childhood buddies are getting married and I'm still living with my folks, falling too comfortably into a routine). I've always been interested in dentistry. My dad is a dentist. He's also one of my best friends and has provided my family with a wonderful life. He never tried to encourage me into pursuing dentistry. I did a formal post-bacc after not being in school for ~10 years. Absolutely loved it...making friends, challenging myself, learning. Some days I'm at the recording studio and feel awful that I'll likely be giving it up (as a career, never as a hobby) in the coming months, but I also appreciate how hard I worked to get accepted into D school...And I shadow and volunteer and get super stoked about the profession...That typically helps me overcome any potential doubts. But yes, this is a major life decision and a major commitment so it's only natural to have some concerns. I'm very excited for what the journey has to bring for me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted this cycle and constantly go through the same internal questioning process. Untraditional applicant here. I'm in my lower 30s and my current profession is recording studio owner, audio recording engineer, music producer. I've had my business for almost 10 years now. I love what I do and feel great satisfaction from the services I provide. I've established awesome relationships with my clients. I feel as if I'm ready for a career change (as most of my childhood buddies are getting married and I'm still living with my folks, falling too comfortably into a routine). I've always been interested in dentistry. My dad is a dentist. He's also one of my best friends and has provided my family with a wonderful life. He never tried to encourage me into pursuing dentistry. I did a formal post-bacc after not being in school for ~10 years. Absolutely loved it...making friends, challenging myself, learning. Some days I'm at the recording studio and feel awful that I'll likely be giving it up (as a career, never as a hobby) in the coming months, but I also appreciate how hard I worked to get accepted into D school...And I shadow and volunteer and get super stoked about the profession...That typically helps me overcome any potential doubts. But yes, this is a major life decision and a major commitment so it's only natural to have some concerns. I'm very excited for what the journey has to bring for me!

That's so cool. In an ideal world/my dreams, I would have the courage to drop my acceptances and pursue music. I'd love to spend all my time singing in the studio but for the sake of a stable paying career, I feel pushed towards the "more practical" option of sticking to dentistry.

Congrats man! It's never too late to go for what you want. The whole notion that you do one thing for your whole life is an outdated concept. It's great when you have multiple experiences in your life and compound that with every new adventure you go on.

Honestly, I know how you feel. When I shadowed my dentist it wasnt that passionate for me either. I love dentistry as a practical career where you get to help people. I only did shadowing, never any assisting, and what I am most worried about is hand skills. I never was an artist...i don't know how great my visualization is. (although I got a 19 on PAT, and I am really good at organic chemistry.) I asked plenty of people and they say with practice you can really get good at it. I really hope this is true!

Honestly, I know how you feel. When I shadowed my dentist it wasnt that passionate for me either. I love dentistry as a practical career where you get to help people. I only did shadowing, never any assisting, and what I am most worried about is hand skills. I never was an artist...i don't know how great my visualization is. (although I got a 19 on PAT, and I am really good at organic chemistry.) I asked plenty of people and they say with practice you can really get good at it. I really hope this is true!
Shadowing is not that exciting because you just stand there and watch, but the dentist I shadowed said "if you can see yourself doing it all day long, go for it". So I went for it.

I'm suck at drawing and carving and anything artistic-related. But I went for it anyway.

And now as a D1, I can assure you that practice makes perfect. And you will get the hang of it, and you will get better! So hang in there ;)

So your analogy is comparing pre-dental students to medical students? 0 sense.
I could have just as easily said how do so many pre-med students commit to medical school without ever really exp the profession.

Every day I wonder am I making the right decision and every day I realize yes.
I think it's hard anytime you know you're committing to something very serious - especially one that is going to cost a lot of money.
However, I've met many dentists that have gone general and realized they wanted to specialize 1-4 years after graduating and they're all going for it. I love dentistry because it really is broad while still having procedures. I love to talk and get to know patients, but I wouldn't want to just diagnose all my life - I love the thought of actually doing something with hand skills.

If you really don't like it then don't feel bad about changing!

(Also I know a lot of people on a pre-professional track with little to none experience with it. Most haven't even volunteered or shadowed beyond their own medical doctors or a one time thing. Some will probably find they don't enjoy it/it's not worth it. Most (at my school) will realize they're not going to probably get their dream job an it'll be too late for them. I think most of us have a solid idea of what we want though and I know I have shadowed and volunteered in dentistry well enough to know I love the field.)

So when I was assisting, 8 found that Dentistry is not what it seems. It is hard labor and the postures you work in can be stressful. It is also not always doing procedures, there's a lot of background things you must do while working. Sometimes I found my passion would be sucked dry during a long procedure or sets of procedures, however after we finished it was rewarding to know our work was complete and the patient was doing better.

I found I got the realistic exposure and not just shadowing. I still enjoy it, although I will have a chiro on call hahah.

I still enjoy it, although I will have a chiro on call hahah.

You spelled it wrong. It's churro. You don't need to have it on call. Costco sells them all day.

Reactions: 3 users
So your analogy is comparing pre-dental students to medical students? 0 sense.
I could have just as easily said how do so many pre-med students commit to medical school without ever really exp the profession
I suppose the point is that med students have a wider variety of career options. Psychiatry, internal medicine, and surgery (e.g.) each require very different skill sets; whereas all of dentistry is essentially surgical. (Even if you want a non-traditional career in dentistry, you still need enough clinical skill to earn your DDS and pass the boards.) So in that sense, the comparison is that pre-dental students are choosing a surgical profession presumably over other options--something med students don't have to do before matriculating.