Second Guessing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space navigator

Reaction score
I have been on the Doctor train for as long as I can remember. Like all of you I’ve spent all of my undergrad working towards medicine and have obsessed about it and fixated on becoming a doctor. However, now as I hold 2 acceptances I am quite unsure if I want to go to medical school anymore.

To make matters worse I haven’t even considered other careers because I’ve spent all my time on medicine.

Any advice or other careers I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Fruit fly biologist? Home inspector? Pharmaceutical sales? Interior designer? Magician?

It's common to get cold feet as one approaches a big moment that feels irrevocable. You should spend some time thinking about where this sudden rush of uncertainty came from.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with @Med Ed . You had your eye on the prize for so long but it may be the prize was an offer of admission and not medical practice itself.

Dig deep and ask "why do I want to be a doctor?"
Then ask "why" to whatever response you have to that question. Then ask why to that response and so forth. Dig deeper. Unless you can get to the heart of the matter, you can't be sure you aren't making a mistake.

Now that you have the offer, throw yourself into whatever brings you joy over the next few months before matriculation. If that's shadowing or research or service to others, great, maybe you'll get your mojo back. If you find yourself running from those activities, that might be a sign, too.

Reactions: 2 users