second guessing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have a chance of getting in anywhere. Any advice or thoughts are welcome on my situation:
I will be graduating with a BA in psych and soc next summer. Planned on applying to Psy.D programs on the east coast, the schools I am thinking of applying to are Long Island U./C.W. Post Campus, Marywood, MSPP, Chestnut Hill, Immaculata, La Salle, Loyola, and possibly Argosy... but time is running out and I don't think I am a strong candidate compared to others. GPA isn't great b/c of bad first year, and a struggle to raise it once it's low. Taking psych GRE Sat, and GRE on Tues. I don't test well, so I am lacking confidence and starting to second guess even applying at all. The only things I have going for me are two jobs, one in the teaching clinic, scoring tests, and running charts and another job at the psych hospital. Can get good references from professor, psychologist at clinic, and director at hospital. Could try to explain grades and tests scores in personal statement, but at this point I am so discouraged that I am doubting even applying. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well you didn't give any specifics about your grades and test scores so I don't know if you are selling yourself short. If it's only your first year grades that are keeping down your GPA, admissions committes might see that and understand. Try highlighting your junior/senior or dept GPA on your CV if they are much better. And it sounds like you have pretty good clinical experience. If you feel comfortable with one of your advisors or have a career/grad school counselor at your college you should talk to them about your situation. If at that point you are still feeling a little hesitant you can do what I and others will be doing- take a year off. This is a really good option for many people, even if your grades and everything are all right. The last piece of advice I can give you is just to stay positive!