second look weekends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marydee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone give some insights (and dates too) of second look weekends? what happens? what's included? what's not? any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

mine was just a day... but it gave me a chance to visit the school, learn more about the curriculum, take another tour, and most importantly actually PAY ATTENTION to all that since I didn't have to worry about how my interview went/was going to go. Since I was pretty sure I was going there, it gave me a chance to talk to second years about housing and any other pre/beginning M1 tips they had. I think they're worthwhile if you're seriously considering the school, it definitely helped me solidify my decision.

Second look weekends usually happen in April. This is a time for schools to woo applicants to join. Some schools pull out all the stops!

An example of a second look: get in on Friday for dinner. Stay with a student host. Have a rocking party hosted by the med students at somebody's place. Meet faculty and attend lectures on Saturday about the school, student life, etc. Go on tours of the area with current students. Have dinner at a faculty's house.
Sunday, breakfast with the students and final lectures by the admissions committee.

Some second look weekends are Friday-Sunday, and some are just for a day or so. I totally recommend going to schools which you are seriously thinking about attending, and even to schools that accepted you but you're just not sure about whether you'd like to go or not.

Sometimes, the interview day is short and it's unfortunate that it may taint your impression of the school because it's just one experience. Second look weekends give you a chance to go back with a fresh attitude and instead of thinking "will they like me?" it's "will I like them?"

Personally, I met many of my current classmates at second look, and made friends with upperclassmen then as well...friendships which I've still kept almost three years later.
:)
caffeinegirl
MS3

Members don't see this ad :)
OK i'm seriously going to need these to make my decision i can already tell...

do we get mailings about these in the spring??