Second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhodes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do programs allow/encourage 2nd looks? I'm really interested in a program and wondering if it will help or hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not do a second look. it's Ophtho, it's competitive. I feel like a second look almost implies you aren't sure and need to see more to be sure. I don't believe it's a good way to show extra interest.

I would not do a second look. it's Ophtho, it's competitive. I feel like a second look almost implies you aren't sure and need to see more to be sure. I don't believe it's a good way to show extra interest.
Thanks! So how do I communicate my interest? Or is it basically out of my hands lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! So how do I communicate my interest? Or is it basically out of my hands lol?

Having been on the other side, I can tell you that programs want people who want to be there. Depending on the program's set up, you should contact a resident, program coordinator, attending with whom you interviewed, or the program director. You should explain why you are interested in the program, and you should never tell more than one program you are ranking them first. Good luck!

Do programs allow/encourage 2nd looks? I'm really interested in a program and wondering if it will help or hurt me.

Having been on the other side, I can tell you that programs want people who want to be there. Depending on the program's set up, you should contact a resident, program coordinator, attending with whom you interviewed, or the program director. You should explain why you are interested in the program, and you should never tell more than one program you are ranking them first. Good luck!

I think it's mostly out of your hands, other than an email from you saying thank you and how much you loved the program or saying you will rank it number one. Further clout comes from your mentors if they know someone at the program. An email or phone call from your mentor expressing your interest goes a long way. However, be careful about telling multiple programs you will rank them #1. And be careful about telling a program you will rank them high, but not specifically #1...

Thank you for the responses.

In general, when ranking programs, does it make sense to try to consider how high they'll rank you, or should you rank them solely based off of your own interest?

I'm trying to guess how much difference ranking a program 1st v. 2nd or 2nd v. 1st will make.

It should be completely based on your interests. This is true for both programs and applicants. It only benefits you to rank the programs in the order you desire. To give an example, if you rank Wilmer as #1 and do not match there, you'll then be checked for a match at your #2 program. If the #2 program ranked you higher than the applicants who tentatively matched there (by putting it as #1), then you'll replace the tentatively matched applicant with the lowest rank and end up matching at #2. Therefore, you do not lose anything by putting your most desirable program as #1 and not matching there.