Question from a Pathologist: Looking into Halogen light or LED? Eye health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ViewMaster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Pathologist in fellowship about to move into practice and I am looking at microscopes. All through residency and fellowship, I have always used scopes with a halogen light source (usually 12V 100W). But more recently microscope manufacturers are offering LED options for light sources. Since I look into the microscope all day I thought I'd pose the question to this forum, which one of these is better for my eyes? Does it make a difference? Anything else I should keep in mind in terms of the health of my eyes about my scope and the light settings etc?

Thanks.
 
I am a Pathologist in fellowship about to move into practice and I am looking at microscopes. All through residency and fellowship, I have always used scopes with a halogen light source (usually 12V 100W). But more recently microscope manufacturers are offering LED options for light sources. Since I look into the microscope all day I thought I'd pose the question to this forum, which one of these is better for my eyes? Does it make a difference? Anything else I should keep in mind in terms of the health of my eyes about my scope and the light settings etc?

Thanks.


I have a Nikon eclipse with LED. I too used halogen during training. I sign out all day and LED is way easier on my eyes. The current LED scopes have improved color balance so I see really no advantage to halogen anyMore.