Question from a Pathologist: Looking into Halogen light or LED? Eye health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViewMaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pathologist in fellowship about to move into practice and I am looking at microscopes. All through residency and fellowship, I have always used scopes with a halogen light source (usually 12V 100W). But more recently microscope manufacturers are offering LED options for light sources. Since I look into the microscope all day I thought I'd pose the question to this forum, which one of these is better for my eyes? Does it make a difference? Anything else I should keep in mind in terms of the health of my eyes about my scope and the light settings etc?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Pathologist in fellowship about to move into practice and I am looking at microscopes. All through residency and fellowship, I have always used scopes with a halogen light source (usually 12V 100W). But more recently microscope manufacturers are offering LED options for light sources. Since I look into the microscope all day I thought I'd pose the question to this forum, which one of these is better for my eyes? Does it make a difference? Anything else I should keep in mind in terms of the health of my eyes about my scope and the light settings etc?

Thanks.

I have a Nikon eclipse with LED. I too used halogen during training. I sign out all day and LED is way easier on my eyes. The current LED scopes have improved color balance so I see really no advantage to halogen anyMore.