Second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdtichen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel kind of dumb asking this but can someone explain to me what second look day is exactly? Is it just a chance for people with more than one acceptance to take a look at the schools again? What sorts of activities go on? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The first time you visit a school, you might be too nervous to really appreciate what it has to offer or may forget which school had the great gym or anatomy lab with big screen tvs -- second look is a chance to revisit with a clearer mind to help make the decision of where to attend. As far as I know, only those who have been admitted are allowed to attend second look, so it's a great way to meet potentially future classmates and see if you get along with them. As far as activities, you'll probably hear a lot of talks from the deans, financial aid people, current students, but there will also very likely be social events at night, i.e. lots of drinking. If you have the chance to attend a second look, you probably should.

Most schools wine and dine you and will treat you like princes and princesses. They're designed for you to get another exposure to the school, likely see more about a school than you did on the interview day, and get another chance to talk with students, faculty, and staff. You should go to the second looks of any schools you're seriously considering if at all possible unless you don't need another visit to make a decision.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're almost sure you'll be going there, I'd recommend it.

They're designed to convince you to go to their school if you have multiple acceptances. It is also a great time to meet your potential future classmates and get to know what's in store for you for the next few years.

Most schools wine and dine you and will treat you like princes and princesses. They're designed for you to get another exposure to the school, likely see more about a school than you did on the interview day, and get another chance to talk with students, faculty, and staff. You should go to the second looks of any schools you're seriously considering if at all possible unless you don't need another visit to make a decision.

(sent from my phone)

For sure. The food was AMAZING at second look here at Pitt. :love:

You can attend the second look even if you have only one offer of admission. It is a good chance to meet people who might be your classmates and to get a feel for housing options.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback! :D

Do all schools have these? And do you have to stay in a hotel, or can you stay with students? I assume it varies school to school but I was just wondering what you guys did/are going to do.

Do all schools have these? And do you have to stay in a hotel, or can you stay with students? I assume it varies school to school but I was just wondering what you guys did/are going to do.

Varies. Some will put you in a hotel, some with student hosts. Most (if not all) schools do them.

They really are meant to help you make a decision about a school. If you know you're going to a particular school, the only value in going is meeting people that might be your classmates. Really, though, it's not that big of a deal if you have the time or money to go. Where they're really valuable is in helping you choose between a couple of schools.

Varies. Some will put you in a hotel, some with student hosts. Most (if not all) schools do them.

They really are meant to help you make a decision about a school. If you know you're going to a particular school, the only value in going is meeting people that might be your classmates. Really, though, it's not that big of a deal if you have the time or money to go. Where they're really valuable is in helping you choose between a couple of schools.

Thanks! I was just more curious than anything. It's still early in the cycle anyways haha.

Not all schools do. I was surprised to find out last year that Albany did not have a second look. This upcoming spring, just about everyone who's coming for second look weekend will be staying with MS1s

Second Look weekends are pretty important in my book. I was deciding between two schools, and the Second Look weekends made that decision very easy for me. There will be a lot of talks from student panels, financial aid people, deans, etc, but the real benefit is being able to interact with current and prospective students without being judged. Many of the people who attend Second Look will end up matriculating, so you'll have a pretty good idea of what your class will be like. I had a really good feeling about my prospective class at Pitt, and that feeling continues today! :love:

For sure. The food was AMAZING at second look here at Pitt. :love:

Haha didn't we get like 4 meals that one day? :D I just remember being inundated with food.

I've been looking forward to these!

At what part of the year do they usually happen?

I would assume one would wear interview-type attire to these things.....or are they more casual?

I would assume one would wear interview-type attire to these things.....or are they more casual?

Nooooo. You probably don't want to wear jeans/sweats, but definitely not a suit. I think I just wore khakis and a top (I'm a girl) and guys work khakis/other business casual pants and a polo or maybe a button down without a tie. A few people wore jeans and it really didn't look out of place, I just wanted to look a bit more presentable. You're already accepted to the school, they're not going to rescind your application for what you wear. Plus most Second Looks have nighttime activities at bars/clubs with currents students, so that's of course casual.

Are these days geared solely towards the student or do people bring family/significant others etc to see the school as well?

I think it varies. Some schools have nighttime activities for accepted students and families/sig others (BU, for example). Ask the school you're interested in. I'm sure family or partners could come along and see the area if they're considering moving there with you as well.

Are these days geared solely towards the student or do people bring family/significant others etc to see the school as well?

Depends on the school. Penn State's second look encouraged parents/families to come and had some sessions tailored towards parents and significant others and supporting their med student. I don't think anyone brought parents to Pitt's second look, although some people brought spouses/significant others so they could also scope out potential apartments.