second third Ionization energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utdent20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do these second third ionization energies work? eg.. #45 Mg's second/third ionization energy.. I don't understand any of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat! Evertime I see that question I have been skipping it. It would be nice if someone could explain:p)

Ionization Energy is the energy required to remove an electron. So for this problem look at your periodic table. If you remove the first electron the ion will have the same number of electrons as Na. The 2nd electron you remove will make the ion have the 8 electrons in the outer shell (because it moves into the Ar position).
This is where the ion wants to be, with a full octet in the outer shell. It does not want to let go of anymore electrons. So in order for it to actually lose a third electron the energy required will be HUGE compared to the 2nd ionization energy.

SO, we are looking for an element that when it loses its second electron it has to go from halogen like (8 electrons) to another state? That wouls be the strongest second ionizing energy???