second thoughts after step 1

Started by samer333
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

samer333

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello everyone,

I hope someone can give me a piece of advise, please.

Yesterday I got my step 1 scores, and I am not really feeling well since then.

I have always wanted to be a CT since probably the age of nine. Right now, however, I am being tortured because of my step 1 score, which I am not sure whether it will get me into general surgery or not. So, I have been asking myself some questions about the future, and I tried to look up the answers on the internet, but that did not help. I really hope to get help and advise here. Here are the questions (and thank you for reading):

1- what is the absolute minimum step 1 score that can get you into gneral surgery?
2- how important is step 1 to CT surgery after your 5 yrs of GS?
3- I would like to go to internal medicine, then cardiology if I don't get into surgery, so my next question is, what is the minimum step 1 score to get into cardiology (having done internal med first)?
4- and last, if I get a good score on step 2, will that improve my chances of getting into general surgery (or into cardiology if I decide to do internal medicine first) ?

thank you all and hope to hear some responses.
 
You have to have at least a 260 for CT or cardio.

You must have 10 published, 1st author papers.

You must be at least cum laude in your class.

Good luck.
 
Don't listen to that...

Why would a step 1 score, rather than 3-4 years of quality work and strong LOR's (as a GS resident) matter more when applying for fellowship? The answer: it wouldn't. I cant attest as to strict cutoffs, but if you would be willing to go anywhere, I cant see why anything above a 215-220 wouldnt make you a strong candidate. Corrct me if I am wrong, guys.

And also, cardiology is tough to get into, but your performance in residency, coupled with ALL your board scores, means more than your Step 1, I would think.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's crazy how the Step 1 seems to hold so much weight. I know about the timing and everything....but geeez....it's the least clinically relevant of the three tests, yet it's the one the determines your fate.

I can't imagine why it would even be a factor when it comes to fellowships...when at that point you have Steps 2 & 3 plus an entire residency under your belt.

Hell, why not dig up our MCATs and SATs, too?
 
Yes, step 1 does matter.

However just cause you didn't do so well on step 1, it is not over. Just be happy that you passed.

Now re-focus, ask yourself if CT is what you really want.
If the answer is yes, this is the time to reflex on your problem. Step 1 is the past. You can't change that, but what you can change is the future.

Start of by, getting honors on all your third year clerkships. Study your ass off. Be a team player, and work hard. Get good letters.
Maybe get some research during downtimes (like in between clerkships when others are taking vacation)

Now after all is done, apply to a residency. Step 1 is only one aspect the program directors look for in an applicant. I know, sometime the computer takes you off the list because of the score, but not all the programs due that. And if one of your surgery professor calls the chairman of a residency program, most of the time they will re-evaluate you.

There is always the rough route of prelim G-surg to prove your worthiness. This can be brutal, and I only mention it as a last resort.

Once you are in g-surg residency, step 1 does not matter a whole lot. That is because now they want your ABSITE scores for the next five years. (Absolute joy, another damn test)

Have faith in yourself, you made it this far. Just don't give up cuz some ass hole said your score is not good enough. Prove him/her wrong--that is your mission, should you choose to accept it.
 
Originally posted by The_Gas_Man
God, this is all so ridiculous!! I went to an osteopathic medical school after "enjoying" my life in college. Had fun in medical school, had an awesome internship, sweet residency and make >$300k/year.........life is SOOOOOOOOO good! That is why I chose anesthesiology, though. It's all about lifestyle my friends.....once you have some experience you will realize this.........


Peace 😍

Gas Man,

Congratulations on all your success. I think it's wonderful that someone can go through the whole process and not come out of it all bitter and pissed off.

All these people in surg, IM, OB...they all seem so angry and bitter...they knew the deal going into it...they should endure it with a smile.

If you're gonna be freaking miserable, why do it?

Anyway, congrats on all your success. Hopefully I'll be as happy as you are when I'm finished with all this madness.
 
Originally posted by The_Gas_Man
God, this is all so ridiculous!! I went to an osteopathic medical school after "enjoying" my life in college. Had fun in medical school, had an awesome internship, sweet residency and make >$300k/year.........life is SOOOOOOOOO good! That is why I chose anesthesiology, though. It's all about lifestyle my friends.....once you have some experience you will realize this.........


Peace 😍


smart of u to take teh backdoor approach ..
btw i know 1 gas in WI making $1mil/yr. u will too soon. congrats
 
i can tell you that getting a general surgery residency will not be that tough, you can then work really hard in residency to earn that CT fellowship.
 
People put so much stress on Step 1, but in the grand scheme of things, a bad score is not the end of the world.

Though I disagree with the notion that a general surgery categorical spot is ridiculously easy to obtain, if you play your cards right, you can get a spot with a less than stellar Step 1 score.

Work hard, consider studying like crazy for Step 2 to improve, and (most of all) apply/interview at lots of places and you're pretty likely to match.

My program has over 40 residents, and those I know who are going for fellowships don't seem much concerned with Step 1. It's long in the past and many more things become important at this point.

Good luck. Work hard and you'll be fine.
 
a great step 2 can mitigate a poor step 1. just make sure you have taken step 2 when you apply for residency.

likely, your step 1 will screen you out of some programs. if you aren't screened out, they will see your *hopefully* great step 2, and will invite you for an interview.

get good LORs, do a couple of sub-I's early fourth year, and you are all set. Once you are a categorical, it's the connections you make more than your USMLE scores.

good luck.