Second Thoughts! Your opinion welcomed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdemaKNN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am having second thoughts on accepting my position at Louisiana Tech University due to the neighborhood of the area. I have been looking at moving to Ruston (where the school is located) or Monroe which is the next town over (due to partner's job needs). I am FREAKED out about the location's crime statistics from varies websites. Both Ruston and Monroe have crime rates (includes assault, burglary, rape, ect.) extremely above the national average for small and large cities alike. For example 1 in 10 is likely to have a violent or property crime committed to them. This is scary to me and my partner who is moving with me. We are coming from communities that are fairly safe and do not have as large of crime stats.

Now I am rethinking my decision. I am not sure I should take my chances minding my own business while I am in school or reapply to other places this next cycle. I was rejected everywhere else I applied so getting in at LA Tech was my only choice. My GRE wasn't very good and my GPA was on the lower side too. Would waiting to reapply be better for me this time? I have since boosted my GPA and graduated with honors with my bachelor's. I would retake the GRE this fall to receive a better score. My only worry is that I would have a hard time receiving letters of rec because I am worried my previous people would refuse due to already being accepted somewhere to only turn it away.

I am excited to (possibly) be moving and attending school but don't want to be raped or assaulted for going. Decisions, decisions.:confused::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I came here expecting the same "money money" argument we get a lot of around here but instead found your interesting dilemma! I'm very sorry that of all things, this is what's tipping the scale. Have you looked at different areas within each city? I live in a good part of town but almost moved to the worst part. If you type in different addresses, you can see the breakdown in that neighborhood.

Also, are there other towns nearby that you could consider? Commuting may be frustrating but it could be worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

I don't know if this helps, but the neighborhood around KU Med is pretty sketchy too. I found a building with a full-time security guard right across from campus, actually closer than the parking lot. I feel quite safe really. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a public hospital in a pristine neighborhood. If you like the program and they offer the things that are important to you, I think you should go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not worth the risk. BUT if you're really on the fence, visit the area and see how you feel about it. Your instinct can tell you a lot.

I go to school in Memphis which also has a very high crime rate. None of our students to my knowledge have had any issues in two and a half years. Contact a realtor or someone at a church or something similar to find out where safe neighborhoods are. A little bit of common sense can go a long way in situations like this. If you're getting an apartment, find one that has a security and maybe even gated parking. For evening access to our building, students get access to the faculty lot so we don't have to park away and walk to the building. Another thing you could do would be to get in touch with current students, ask if they feel safe or have had any troubles. They should also be able to steer you towards good places to live.

I have tons of friends who went to and survived LA Tech! You will be fine. Just ask around for the safest places to live and use common sense. :)

I go to school in the heart of Detroit, MI. We all know about Detroit, MI... think of it this way... you get to see a lot more interesting cases because of crime related incidences in the hospitals... Also, it's not bad at all - just pay attention to your surroundings.

So, I just wanted to update everyone with that I am still going to LA Tech. I will be moving from Michigan to Louisiana in 5 weeks! I am super excited and can't wait to get started. As for everything I was worried about, I figure I will be fine minding my own business and not putting myself in a situation that I wouldn't want to be in. Any advice on neighborhoods in Monroe or Shreveport? Due to my partner's job we will probably be living in either city.

Look for places to rent on trulia.com

There is an app for the ipad or iphone where you can check the crime stats for any area you would rent in. It breaks down the amount of crimes and types of crimes. The other thing I would do is contact a realtor in the area. They usually have nice rental properties and can steer you to a safe neighborhood. Many are openly honest about the safety of areas they rent and sell in.

And my last bit of advice is this;
1. Always pay attention to your surroundings and scan the area for suspicious people. Never walk alone on your cell phone because you are occupied and an easy target to surprise and attack
2. Buy a gun, learn to shoot, and be prepared to at least protect yourself in your own home.

Haha. I love that advice, but you will seriously be fine. Just watch your surroundings and be vigilant. It IS Louisiana, but it won't be people that kill ya, it'll be the humidity! :)