Second Year Hopeful Premed Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerryAf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just about to update my stats from last year. Any opinions since I am applying next year (third year) and will be doing my MCAT this late August/early September.

Anyway:
GPA: 3.77 (improved from 3.69)
MCAT: TBD (Aiming for 35 - will probably end with 33? - apparently no more essay to worry about?)
EC stats:
1) Medical clinic (1.5 months) - receptionist, got to work with babies (measuring weight/height), got to create brochures for the doctor's clinic, got to meet the people that run the firm, got to schedule and attend calls for patients
2) Spinal Lab Clinic - work with patients with spinal injuries (1 hour per week for the past 2 months)
3) Cardiac Centre - Work with elders who are trying to improve overall health/rehabilitating (2 hours per week for the past month)
4) MedPlus - school run organization for select students that show excellence in academics. Get to meet a new individual from the medical industry every work (i.e chiropodist, surgeons, medical statistic analysts, etc...) and get training for MCAT/interviews

Aiming for Canadian med schools (unfortunately dad cannot pay $80k/year to go to a US university since I came from a middle class family).

Research? None. Have I tried? Yes. Turned down every time...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, just about to update my stats from last year. Any opinions since I am applying next year (third year) and will be doing my MCAT this late August/early September.

Anyway:
MCAT: TBD (Aiming for 35 - will probably end with 33? - apparently no more essay to worry about?)
EC stats:
1) Medical clinic (1.5 months) - receptionist, got to work with babies (measuring weight/height), got to create brochures for the doctor's clinic, got to meet the people that run the firm, got to schedule and attend calls for patients
2) Spinal Lab Clinic - work with patients with spinal injuries (1 hour per week for the past 2 months)
3) Cardiac Centre - Work with elders who are trying to improve overall health/rehabilitating (2 hours per week for the past month)
4) MedPlus - school run organization for select students that show excellence in academics. Get to meet a new individual from the medical industry every work (i.e chiropodist, surgeons, medical statistic analysts, etc...) and get training for MCAT/interviews

Aiming for Canadian med schools (unfortunately dad cannot pay $80k/year to go to a US university since I came from a middle class family).

Your projected stats are fine by US standards, but I've noticed Canadian med schools are a bit different in how they look at things. I haven't seen any Canadian application experts hanging around this forum in quite some time. Have you tried SDN's Canadian equivalent site, Premed101?

Can't speak for canadian schools, but for US, you're golden.

Anyway:
EC stats:

Members don't see this ad :)
Your projected stats are fine by US standards, but I've noticed Canadian med schools are a bit different in how they look at things. I haven't seen any Canadian application experts hanging around this forum in quite some time. Have you tried SDN's Canadian equivalent site, Premed101?

Hey! I've never tried Premed101. Am I actually good for US standards? I wish I can afford it but I don't know what to do apart from opening a line of credit. I would love to study in NYU...

Hey! So you think so too? Are US schools even remotely generous to intl. students? I'm not sure how competitive others will be but I strongly feel inferior stats wise.

Well, the avg acceptee has a 3.6 GPA, and a 32 MCAT.

There are US schools that accept international applicants. Invest in the MSAR to see which ones do.

Hey! I've never tried Premed101. Am I actually good for US standards? I wish I can afford it but I don't know what to do apart from opening a line of credit. I would love to study in NYU...

Hey! So you think so too? Are US schools even remotely generous to intl. students? I'm not sure how competitive others will be but I strongly feel inferior stats wise.

OP's problem is that the risk assessment for international students makes schools reluctant to accept any but the most superlative (among the smallish number that accept them at all). The perceived risk is that these students, like many US students, will want competitive specialties that do not support their visa status. When these students do not match it hurts the school's reputation (not to mention the student's!)

I wish I can afford it but I don't know what to do apart from opening a line of credit. I would love to study in NYU...
A 3.77/35 would be good enough for US highly-ranked med schools, some of which give merit scholarships to internationals, but such institutions tend to be research-oriented, an area in which you are totally lacking, and they all aim to train future leaders in medicine, a mission for which you have not yet shown a good fit.

I will add that your active clinical experience seems to be on the light side, and you have no mention of physician shadowing (an activity that Canadian schools care less about). Nonmedical community service that helps those in need is another experience that many US med schools look for.