WAMC/School List Help- Low Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saren99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am submitting my AMCAS and AACOMAS tomorrow, and I wanted some advice on my school list. I understand that my MCAT and GPA are low and should be retaken, but to be transparent... I can't. My family thinks I am wasting my life away (I am three years out of undergrad) and wants me to find another career path. In order to get them off of my back, I made a deal to apply this cycle or find something else to do with my life.
  1. cGPA: 3.34 and sGPA: 3.21 (Strong upward trend, also did penn post-bac and finished with 3.67) (Had 2 C- and retook for A in Orgo 2 and Calc at community college)
  2. MCAT score(s): Retook 3x
    1. 1st attempt: 489 with 122CP,123CARS, 122BB, 122 PS
    2. 2nd attempt: 493 with 123 CP, 125 CARS, 122 BB, 123 PS
    3. 3rd attempt: 498 123 CP, 124 CARS, 124 BB, 127 PS
  3. NJ Resident
  4. URM black female, 24 y/o
  5. 2020 grad from a state school, not Rutgers.
  6. Clinical experience
    1. 1600 hr ED Scribe in undergrad
    2. 800 hr ophthalmology scribe at Penn during post-bac (LOR)
    3. 50 hr meal companion at NJ hospital. Spoon-fed patients who were unable to do so themselves.
  7. Research experience
    1. 300 hr as ED research assistant at Penn --> 4th author pub (LOR)
    2. 1600 hr as a research coordinator at Temple (Current) (2 LOR's- one from each PI)
  8. Shadowing
    1. 15 hr OBGYN
    2. 20 ED
    3. 25 OBGYN
    4. 75 Study abroad (Shadowed ENT, derm, urology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Soup Kitchen 220 hrs (Sat on committee where I interviewed our homeless population to see what resources they need) LOR
    2. Urban Promise (Inner city youth mentorship/tutoring)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Secretary of black sorority
    2. President of minority greek council at school (oversaw 13 frats and sororities). Was sent to cali to help collect ideas for the new cultural center they plan to build.
    3. Mentored six black freshmen through my school's minority mentorship program
    4. Treasurer of Gospel Choir
    5. Worked two summers as an intern at this consulting firm (My dad's way of swaying me into a career in business)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Student of distinction nominated by the Center for black culture for exemplary work in the black community on campus
    2. Leadership Fellows- International fellowship program through my sorority
  12. Hobbies
    1. I love to cook, garden, and design aquariums. I am in the process of building a hydroponic system that will allow me to raise fish and grow herbs to cook with.
I have no preference for MD or DO, as I have worked with both and have seen success in both. I know my chances at an MD are slim to none, but I would still like to submit. Below is the large list; I would really like to cut it down)

MD Schools:
  • Albany Medical College
  • Charles R. Drew University Of Medicine and Science College of
    Medicine
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • Drexel University College of Medicine
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  • Georgetown University School of Medicine
  • Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  • Howard University College of Medicine
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Meharry Medical College
  • Morehouse School of Medicine
  • New York Medical College
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  • Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  • Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  • Tulane University School of Medicine
  • Wayne State University School of Medicine
DO Schools:
  • ROWAN
  • PCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • Kansas City
  • LECOM
  • TOURO
Thank you for your help; also, pls be kind...I get enough crap at home 🥲

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you check school sites for how they view the MCAT. A lot will average your scores, meaning they view you as a 493. You need to add a lot more DO programs.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools and I suggest these:
Charles Drew
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Tulane
TCU
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
ROWAN-COM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
Your best chances are at DO schools but you could receive MD interviews. Apply no later than July and submit all your secondaries by August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will also encourage you not to give up. I agree that on the MD side, your HBCU's are your best best, followed perhaps by in-state options. Are you connected with any mentoring organizations, such as SNMA/MAPS or any organization focused on mentoring aspiring Black physicians? Did you shadow any physicians who are involved locally, statewide, or nationally in NMA or similar mentoring organizations? Did you do any academic enrichment programs or pipeline programs?

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at some MD schools and I suggest these:
Charles Drew
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Tulane
TCU
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
ROWAN-COM
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
Your best chances are at DO schools but you could receive MD interviews. Apply no later than July and submit all your secondaries by August.
Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it. I will look into each of the schools you suggested.

I will also encourage you not to give up. I agree that on the MD side, your HBCU's are your best best, followed perhaps by in-state options. Are you connected with any mentoring organizations, such as SNMA/MAPS or any organization focused on mentoring aspiring Black physicians? Did you shadow any physicians who are involved locally, statewide, or nationally in NMA or similar mentoring organizations? Did you do any academic enrichment programs or pipeline programs?
Unfortunately, I have not had much exposure to the SNMA in terms of mentorship. My only mentor is through my sorority. I sought opportunities for pipeline programs post-graduation but didn't have much luck because the ones I found were for undergraduate and/or high school students.

I am very interested in attending an HBCU medical school and have been for a while, but I fear that due to a lack of exposure to these pipeline programs, I might be ruled out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have not had much exposure to the SNMA in terms of mentorship. My only mentor is through my sorority. I sought opportunities for pipeline programs post-graduation but didn't have much luck because the ones I found were for undergraduate and/or high school students.

I am very interested in attending an HBCU medical school and have been for a while, but I fear that due to a lack of exposure to these pipeline programs, I might be ruled out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's never too late, so get signed up with newsletters or social media with NMA or SNMA. Reach out to student officers. If you get into medicine, you will have another family for life (just like your sorority).

Reactions: 1 user
It's never too late, so get signed up with newsletters or social media with NMA or SNMA. Reach out to student officers. If you get into medicine, you will have another family for life (just like your sorority).
Okay, I definitely will. Thank you so much for your help!