second year undergrad needs help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lboarder

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in my second year with a 2.3 gpa science and a 2.5 overall. I have straight C's in bio, chem, ochem, and physics.
I haven't taken the DAT yet, although I've heard that a good score on it can do wonders.
I've worked in a dental office for the past year, and before that had a summer's worth of experience.
Any advice on how else I can improve my chances to get in? I've heard that some dental schools offer dental workshops during the summer. Does anyone know anything about this?
Also, any advice on how to tackle the DAT?
I've heard that maybe getting a minor in business or economics can help boost chances. Also, I was thinking of taking summer school at the local community college in anatomy and bio chemistry. Hopefully, this might boost my gpa. Does anyone know what dental schools think about taking science classes in a community college?
Thanks anyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Iboarder,

I replied to your Qs in the "Under 3.0 Club" postings, but I did not read this one until now! After reading your circumstances in this post, I have some new advice for you in lieu to what I have suggested in my reply in the "Under 3.0 Club" because those suggestions are geared towards people who have already completed a bachelor's degree.

For you, you have the best opportunity of all, YOU STILL HAVE 2 YEARS or MORE to increase your GPA before you finish your bachelor degree!! Straight "C"s are NOT that bad and consider retaking them (Organic, Chem. and Bio.) after you have aced a couple of upper division science courses such as histology, biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, physiology, embryology, and maybe some genetic courses! If you want dentistry, then get your s#@* in gear and get them "A"s! You're still in the race! Also, I would suggest that you take these upper division science courses in a credited 4-year college or university. An "A" in anatomy at a community college, in my opinion, is different than an "A" in anatomy at a university in dental schools' perspective!

Dental exposure is fine, but I thnk your main focus right now should be increasing your GPAs and you can do it! Summer dental programs, not workshops, usually require you to have at least 2.75 to apply and 3 letters of recommendation! As far as DAT goes, wait unitl you the the grasp of the basic sciences to embark on it! Again, you do not want to get mediocre scores on your DAT along with your blemish GPA, that will not help you in your application.

To sum up, you still have time to prove yourself and how serious you want it and increasing GPA is the MAIN goal, not DAT or dental summer programs or more dental exposure!

Just my $5.90 worth! Good luck!

:cool:

How many more courses of required bio,chem, ochem, and physics do you have to take? Are you on the semester system or quarter system? Answers to the above questions would enable us to better analyze your situation and provide you with plausable suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I'm basically done. I just have to take a bio chem class and an anatomy class along with the upper division classes for my major: cognitive sciences. I'm on the quarter system at UCSD. Thanks for responding.

Originally posted by groundhog:
•How many more courses of required bio,chem, ochem, and physics do you have to take? Are you on the semester system or quarter system? Answers to the above questions would enable us to better analyze your situation and provide you with plausable suggestions.•••

You stated that you are a second year undergrad. To me, that means you have completed your freshman year and 1 quarter of your sophomore year. If all that is true, I have two questions. What prompted you to load up with all those pre-dent science reqs over such a short period of time? Did anyone explain the nature of those WEED OUT courses to you or suggest a stratedgy for tackling them over a longer time span during your four years of undergrad work?

Anyway, all that is spilled milk. In your case, I think Yah-ZZZ has broadly outlined your best solution. What I suggest is ideal, so you may be able to adjust it a bit after after consulting with a dental school admission advisor.

1: Retake and get A's on those science reqs.

2: Spread those retakes over your remaining time
in undergrad.

3: Sign up for the KAPLAN DAT prep course at
the end of spring quarter of your junior year.

4: Take the summer off between your junior and
senior year and prepare for the DAT.

5: Submit your application to ADEA in July of
that same year and take the DAT in late August
or early September.

6: If you are invited for interviews, tell the
admin committes that your reason for repeats
of the science reqs was due to freshman over
exhuberance on your part as to what course
work you thought you could handle at that
time in your life.