Secondaries: can I write about romantic relationships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatelove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just wondering whether it'd be okay to write about my relationship with my boyfriend of 15 months if I ever need to, e.g. on a secondary prompt that asks about difficulties interacting with people / learning to embrace differences?

Is it a big no-no, or is it allowed in certain very relevant cases?

Let me know; I just have heard nothing about this from others and am wondering.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Consider it in this context: "my name is @chocolatelove and my biggest difficulty in interacting with people was from a voluntary relationship I had with some guy for 14 months. I learned to embrace our differences and now we have been together 15 months."

Have you never had difficulties in non-romantic settings? No cultural clashes? No difficult peers or team mates? I think you can come up with some better sources for a good narrative than a run of the mill, just over 1 year long relationship.

Reactions: 1 users
I am just wondering whether it'd be okay to write about my relationship with my boyfriend of 15 months if I ever need to, e.g. on a secondary prompt that asks about difficulties interacting with people / learning to embrace differences?

Is it a big no-no, or is it allowed in certain very relevant cases?

Let me know; I just have heard nothing about this from others and am wondering.
This might make me wonder how long the timeline will be for you to adjust to strangers from outside your comfort zone that you'll meet every few minutes in service positions and during work & recreation. Having experiences with many diverse people across the spectrum is a desirable background in a med school candidate. Focusing on a single, very-personal situation may not do you any favors.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to take the opposite view and say writing about relationships is like writing about breathing. Patients will be strangers, not loved ones and relations, and as such, the prompt, I beleive, is looking to see how you deal with strangers.

Reactions: 3 users