Secondaries for Schools that Screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LRmed2003

BlueDevil turn'd TarHeel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo.. we know that certain schools screen. This thread is to give a heads up when someone hears from a screening school, either with a secondary invitation or (sniff sniff..teardrop) a rejection. SO just post a little note letting us know when and what you've heard, dates, etc, so we can gauge our applications.. thanks a bunch!!

~LR

Members don't see this ad.

University of Miami screens
I applied as a shot in the dark out of stater, rejected 7/15-"did not meet our GPA requirements" (my GPA is .1 lower than they want for out of state)
oh well, the first one is out of the way, at least they did not make me pay the secondary!

Just saying hi so this thread can be on page 1.. let us know when ya'll start getting secondaries from these screening schools..

~LR

Members don't see this ad :)
U Pittsburgh- 7/16 email.

Ok, so do any schools screen based ONLY on MCAT or based ONLY on your GPA, or do they take BOTH into account? I applied to a bunch of upper-tier schools with only a moderate GPA, but a stellar MCAT. Will my GPA count-me-out at some of these schools?

Ok, so do any schools screen based ONLY on MCAT or based ONLY on your GPA, or do they take BOTH into account? I applied to a bunch of upper-tier schools with only a moderate GPA, but a stellar MCAT. Will my GPA count-me-out at some of these schools?
both GPA and MCAT are used to screen applicants. depending on your definition of "moderate GPA", you may or may not be in any trouble. i'd say anything above 3.5 is safe (unless you're applying to state schools as an out-of state resident). hell, for that matter, i would imagine that a 3.4 is kosher, too.

any other thoughts?

cytotech27 said:
University of Miami screens
I applied as a shot in the dark out of stater, rejected 7/15-"did not meet our GPA requirements" (my GPA is .1 lower than they want for out of state)
oh well, the first one is out of the way, at least they did not make me pay the secondary!

me too! i thought, what the heck, maybe they'll take my post bacc into consideration...denied!!! ah well....i'm with you, at least they didn't make me pay for the secondary. :thumbup:

VFrank said:

I'm in the same boat as you are...not the greatest undergrad GPA, but a really good MCAT. I'm nervous about these screened secondaries...but I just got my AMCAS processed today, so I'm guessing I won't be getting any emails for at least a week... :scared:

I am still waiting on two that don't screen.. harvard and emory.. and then the rest are all screening schools..nervousness is kicking in...
:confused:

Do you guys receive the secondaries via email?

If so, when did you receive them? I submitted on 7/15 (active on the same day because my transcripts were all in) and I am worried that schools that don't screen pre-secondary haven't sent me any secondaries yet :(

-tx

i've gotten most of the secondaries that don't screen and one that does and i submitted 6/8? and was processed 6/15

txguy said:
Do you guys receive the secondaries via email?

If so, when did you receive them? I submitted on 7/15 (active on the same day because my transcripts were all in) and I am worried that schools that don't screen pre-secondary haven't sent me any secondaries yet :(

-tx

ummmm, start looking for them after that AMCAS application status changes to "processed". Med schools usually don't send you a secondary until they receive your primary, silly. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
ummmm, start looking for them after that AMCAS application status changes to "processed". Med schools usually don't send you a secondary until they receive your primary, silly. :rolleyes:

lol

Well I was just reading posts by other SDNers that said they got secondaries even before they were processed/verified. Who do I believe? :rolleyes:

-tx

txguy said:
lol

Well I was just reading posts by other SDNers that said they got secondaries even before they were processed/verified. Who do I believe? :rolleyes:

-tx

seriously, my AMCAS is DEFINITELY not verified yet cause i've been having problems with one of my transcripts. but i've already submitted my secondary for buffalo and i'm working on pritzker's tonight! so it is VERY possible to get secondaries before verification.

txguy said:
lol

-tx

yeah..you can get secondaries b4 you're verified..but you'll get most after you're verified. in terms of the schools that screen.. as far as I know..the only school out so far is UPitt.. other than that..there haven't been any invites to fill out the secondaries for those schools...

~LR

just to verify, does processed = verified on the AMCAS application webpage?

nuttyp3 said:
just to verify, does processed = verified on the AMCAS application webpage?

yup :thumbup:

does BU screen? or has anyone else not gotten the letter requesting for $$ yet?

thanks! :)

kiwie07 said:
does BU screen? or has anyone else not gotten the letter requesting for $$ yet?

thanks! :)

I don't think BU screens. They have rejected people as soon as they got their money for "secondary". (I am talking about rejection letter sent out same day as check was cashed). :rolleyes:

No BU for me yet either... wondering if the mail is taking a while to get to California?

soo i got two secondaries from screening schools on the same day..

NYU 7/26/04 email
Wake Forest 7/26/04 email

any others yet?

L~R :thumbup:

BU doesn't screen but they are liberal with the rejections as the previous poster mentioned..and their stuff is sent out snail mail so it's just probably taking a minute to reach you...ho hum...now waiting on duke, unc, vandy....

bump

do Mount Sinai or Emory screen, or are they just getting late starts?

WalterSobchakk said:
do Mount Sinai or Emory screen, or are they just getting late starts?

don't know about Mt. Sinai..but emory is just late..i called the office and they said it would be available around the 1st of august or soon after...

I believe Sinai said the secondary won't be out until around august 15th :scared: :scared: :scared:

CRAZY!

I received a letter from BU requesting $100 on 7/19. Haven't received a rejection letter yet. :p

Run said:
I received a letter from BU requesting $100 on 7/19. Haven't received a rejection letter yet. :p

Of course not, first you pay the money, THEN you get the boot.

It's stupid to reject you before you show the green.

I was wondering like the Wake Forest secondary is like. What's the difficulty?

centig said:
I was wondering like the Wake Forest secondary is like. What's the difficulty?

Here's the questions

1) In which service activity that you listed on the AMCAS application do you feel made the most impact on someone else?

2) Which service activity had the most impact on you?

3) Personal Comments (Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school)

Hope this helps. :oops: :luck:

Stupid question but does anyone know what address we send our recommendation letters to Wake Forest? I looked all over their website but I can't find it.

Thanks!

An Yong said:
Stupid question but does anyone know what address we send our recommendation letters to Wake Forest? I looked all over their website but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Medical Center Blvd.
Winston Salem, NC 27157