Secondaries - when they ask about other medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowman.33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals -

Secondaries are rolling in quick. I noticed that a lot of mine asks where else I am submitting secondaries/applied to. Does anybody know the purpose of ADCOMs asking this question? Is it used to evaluate the application or is it just for stats purposes (and wouldn't AMCAS already have that)? If it matters, would it be better to list less or more schools? Would it be better to list less competitive or more competitive schools?

Any insight/theories would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong but I didn't think it was professional for schools to be asking that. None of the schools I am applying to ask that.

I don't remember this happening with any specificity. I would situate it in the language of your application as a whole, without being too specific. For example, if you're application discusses an interest in research or primary care, then acknowledge you are investigating programs strong in research or primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong but I didn't think it was professional for schools to be asking that. None of the schools I am applying to ask that.

I don't remember this happening with any specificity. I would situate it in the language of your application as a whole, without being too specific. For example, if you're application discusses an interest in research or primary care, then acknowledge you are investigating programs strong in research or primary care.

Welp. One school was pretty specific and I quote:

Please list any other medical schools to which you intend to submit a secondary application.

yikes.

If I was in your situation, I would call the school to clarify the question and whether they really want you to list all the schools you are applying to, or I just wouldn't submit the secondary. Whatever you feel comfortable with, but I'm sure they're understanding. Give them a call.

If you don't mind saying which school is that?

Curious what school would ask this as well.

Then, assuming you are a resident, that is definitely an app you want to submit. I just really think that is an unethical question for them to be asking you.

Then, assuming you are a resident, that is definitely an app you want to submit. I just really think that is an unethical question for them to be asking you.
Yeah, I definitely want to. I am a re-app, and got an interview with them last year. Dont remember what I put for this field last year though....