secondaries... writing about the school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLori

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I probably should have sent my secondaries in a while ago, I just can't bring myself to finish them. Here's my question.... when the school asks, "why do you want to go here?" should I look up specific aspects of the school, i.e. research, professors, etc. or should it be the location, what I've heard/seen, and things like that. If you understand at all what I'm getting at, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Research all you can -- board scores, residency placements, nobel prize winning professors -- the more the better.

I'd only use location as a reason in one situation: if the school is near your family you can mention that having the family support nearby will better enable you to successfully complete med school.

If this applies to your situation, be sure that you also include other reasons you are interested in the school: curriculum, ranking, environment (ie: friendly school), reputation, board scores, etc. See what you can find out from their webpage & maybe consider buying access to the full USNews rankings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy how hard do you think that question was for me to answer at OSU, being from South Florida?

Look for as many positive things that the school is known for. For me, OSU is nationally ranked for primary care, which is what I want to do, and that certainly appealed to me.

Also, if you can, get a hold of some present students and ask them what they like about the school. Use what they tell you either in your secondaries, or at the interview (for example "I was told by a few students that this school is blah blah blah, and that's exactly what I'm looking for..." etc). Make them believe that if you're accepted, that's the school you'll go to.

Don't forget to talk about clinical rotation locations. It is a good piece of criteria to chose a school on without looking like a suck-up. Talk about the schools facilities and learning or research opportunities too, and also mentiona any student comments that you have heard that would make you want to go there!

Kappa