secondary and interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a 2 day interview at USC? Well, good luck at both!

9 days... :) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

hi doggie,

i was just wondering how come you say that uop is not the place to go if you were thinking about specializing? i'm having trouble deciding whether uop's as good as the impression they gave me at the interview...prior to going to the interview, i had heard some negative things about uop from practicing dentist. However, after seeing the school for myself, I was completely impressed by their presentation. Now, I can't figure out where to go to find out the "truth" about UOP. Any thoughts?

-wasabi007

Originally posted by reena:
•hi doggie,

i recall reading some of your earlier posts, and i think you've chose to attend columbia dental. is this correct? how are things going thus far? it's always nice to know how things fare after you started school.

reena :) •••

Wow reena....I'm suprised that you still remember my earlier posts! I havent been posting anything ever since school started.

I think I made a pretty good choice coming to columbia. The school has a pretty good curriculum and for the most part is very organized. It is pretty busy but not as bad as ppl think. I still manage to go out almost every weekend.....hehehe. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by wasabi007:
•hi doggie,

i was just wondering how come you say that uop is not the place to go if you were thinking about specializing? i'm having trouble deciding whether uop's as good as the impression they gave me at the interview...prior to going to the interview, i had heard some negative things about uop from practicing dentist. However, after seeing the school for myself, I was completely impressed by their presentation. Now, I can't figure out where to go to find out the "truth" about UOP. Any thoughts?

-wasabi007•••

I am not too sure how these "rumors" spread, but word is, UOP is not a place for specilization. I think that a more factual source would be to check the stats on UOP grads vs post grad speciality programs.

I know 2 ppl who currently attend UOP. One is a 2nd year, and the other is a 1st year. If you'd like, I would be happy to pass their emails and have u ask them.

Hi,
Wasabi, I have noticed that you have applied to osteo and dental schools. How did you respond when the committee asked you about applying to both? Did they ask if you were really committed to dentistry?

cassie,

I hear 'ya w/regards to U. of P...I went there w/the same preconceived notion that if u wanna specialize (like I do) then it's not a good school...However, after speaking with students and others I found out that's not the case. Like u said, about 20 grads last yr. went on to speciality programs and basically everyone got in, if I remember Dr. Yarborough's talk correctly. It's still definitely mainly a clinical school, but applicants shouldn't rule it out automatically just 'cause they may want to go into ortho or something....BTW, they did start an oral surgery residency just this year.

About UCSF....it does seem to be a strong clinical school in addition to research. They have plenty of patients for the students and start clinical/lab exposure pretty early. I didn't get to ask many of the students about whether they feel like they get to work on interesting cases or if those get referred to the residents though....And as for research, yes, my interviewer made a point of pointing out that UCSF led the country in research funding...according to him, their total funding last year exceeded the combined funding received by the next 4 schools after ucsf! What does this really mean to us as a dental student? I'm not really sure, I think part of it is just bragging rights, but I guess it does mean that if u wanna do research in the summer in b/w 1st and 2nd yr. there (or any other time) there are probably going to be more profs. w/funding avail. for u...If it won't be too much of an expense/hassle for you, I'd recommend going to the UCSF interview on the 7th, or at least tell them that you'll be coming for now....a fact which may change once u hear from schools this upcoming sat./mon! I'm still doing that myself, got a spot reserved at U. of Washington for the 6th but will probably cancel it next monday....

Good LUCK! :cool:

hi thebeyonder,

i think you might have me mixed up with someone else on the forum...i think there is another wasabi before me...i am only applying to dental schools right now...

cassie-

were you at uop on 11/19?? if you are who i think you are...i'm glad you found your way to this forum! welcome! isn't this the best resource?? =) good luck at ucsf! i'll be going to ucla on wed~

-wasabi007