secondary app screening process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conebone69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a rigorous screening process for 2ndary apps in top tier schools? I'm planning to retake the MCAT in May and I'm worried that I won't get secondaries when I submit my AMCAS in June since my MCAT first time around wasn't all that great (I got a 33 and May MCATs don't come back til June 21st).

Will a 33 and a 3.87 GPA at a top 10 school get you a secondaries at schools like harvard, duke and hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Very, very few schools screen for secondaries, and it's usually only state schools. The only top 10 school that screens as far as I know is UCSF. Everyone gets a secondary from Harvard, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, Wash U, etc. etc.

I see... thats good to know. Do you know how rigorous the screening process is for UCSF?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see... thats good to know. Do you know how rigorous the screening process is for UCSF?

UCSF and its fellow UCs screen. The cutoff is vague, and I don't think anyone really knows it.

Retaking a 33? Wowzers.

Not to be rude but I think it's incredibly ridiculous that you are planning on retaking a 33 MCAT especially considering your 3.87 GPA. A 33 will not keep you out of contention for any of the top medical schools. Unless you are 100% CONFIDENT you can score a 36+ you may actually be doing yourself a disservice.

I mean, I took the MCAT in the summer after self- teaching myself E+M (which kinda screwed me since a lot of the test contained what I had no idea about). Besides, my counselor recommended it, so I think I'll go for it.

I mean, I took the MCAT in the summer after self- teaching myself E+M (which kinda screwed me since a lot of the test contained what I had no idea about). Besides, my counselor recommended it, so I think I'll go for it.

:uhno:

lol im serious. I asked him whether I should and he told me to look at the whole "how many % actually improve their second time" chart and told me taking E+M would probably make a significant difference.

that's a very specific smiley btw... haha, did not know those existed.

If you don't get into any top schools, it will likely be because of your ec's and just the fact that they're ultra-competitive. Your 33 probably won't matter unless the score is unbalanced.

OP, what you are doing is pretty stupid. I'll take these words back if you hit 36+ on the MCAT.

If you minimally improve, don't, or do worse you may as well kiss the top 10 goodbye. Make sure your AAMC averages are in the high 30s at least if you're going to do this.