Secondary application essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodle

Reaction score
I need opinions!
So for a secondary question, Im asked to talk about a person who influenced me to obtain a medical degree.
I want to write about my grandfather, who 50 years ago was rejected from medical school because he failed his physical exam, due to "impaired vision" from one eye. So, decided to accomplish his goal, he asked his brother who looked a lot like him, to pass the physical exam for him. He was accepted and soon became one of the best known cardiologist of his town, and practiced medicine up until 6 months ago, and he is 86.
So, im motivated by this because he never gave up. I know what he did was unethical, but it shows perseverance. I feel that if I leave out the fact that he asked his brother to take his physical exam, and say that he simply applied again, the story looses essence. But if I tell the whole story, it might seem like I condone lying...
SO, please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

I need opinions!
So for a secondary question, Im asked to talk about a person who influenced me to obtain a medical degree.
I want to write about my grandfather, who 50 years ago was rejected from medical school because he failed his physical exam, due to "impaired vision" from one eye. So, decided to accomplish his goal, he asked his brother who looked a lot like him, to pass the physical exam for him. He was accepted and soon became one of the best known cardiologist of his town, and practiced medicine up until 6 months ago, and he is 86.
So, im motivated by this because he never gave up. I know what he did was unethical, but it shows perseverance. I feel that if I leave out the fact that he asked his brother to take his physical exam, and say that he simply applied again, the story looses essence. But if I tell the whole story, it might seem like I condone lying...
SO, please help me!

So what you want to do is to write about someone who influenced you, and you are most impressed by his willingness to lie and cheat to get into medical school and that you are now wondering if you lie about the story, it loses essence. So does this mean that you are willing to take unethical steps to get into medical school? should we expect that lying is what you will do? Do I make my point? The best way to use this story of grandfather lying to get into medical school is to NOT USE IT AT ALL

Reactions: 1 user
I need opinions!
SO, please help me!
...does not sound like a good plan. I think breaking the rule/gaming the system is a big red flag, and you don't want to glorify that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need opinions!
SO, please help me!
Ahhh, perseverance. That magic endowed quality that deluded pre-meds think will get them into med school alone.

So what you want to do is to write about someone who influenced you, and you are most impressed by his willingness to lie and cheat to get into medical school and that you are now wondering if you lie about the story, it loses essence. So does this mean that you are willing to take unethical steps to get into medical school? should we expect that lying is what you will do? Do I make my point? The best way to use this story of grandfather lying to get into medical school is to NOT USE IT AT ALL
Well I think the story is more than a "lie and cheat" kind of deal. I don't think that's the moral of the story... But I can see how people who hear it can think that way, so thank you for your opinion.

Ahhh, perseverance. That magic endowed quality that deluded pre-meds think will get them into med school alone.
AHHH, a condescending attitude .The most lovely quality that anonymous people online use... GEEZ, no need to be rude. People come here to look for helpful opinions, not snarky comments.

...does not sound like a good plan. I think breaking the rule/gaming the system is a big red flag, and you don't want to glorify that.
Yeah, I figured it was too risky. Thank you!

People come here for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

Learn the difference between realistic and honest advice, and unnecessary comments. I came to a professional forum, not a Facebook post.

I have a different take on though....

If the OP re-narrates the story in this way: Although at the beginning my grandfather did not get admission due to an outdated practice on physical restrictions, he still preserved and later managed to get in to one program, and became an outstanding cardiologist. Then OP can write a few sentences analyzing the outdated practice, something like those physical restrictions may be understood in that historical context, buy may have created unequal access to medical education for the community who may benefit the most, etc.... In this way, I think the moral lesson changes, and makes it sound like a social inequality story...?

Poodle, if you find these types of comments unsettling, I cannot recommend a career in medicine for you.
Goro, thank you for your insightful comments. I hope you feel fulfilled now.

I have a different take on though....

If the OP re-narrates the story in this way: Although at the beginning my grandfather did not get admission due to an outdated practice on physical restrictions, he still preserved and later managed to get in to one program, and became an outstanding cardiologist. Then OP can write a few sentences analyzing the outdated practice, something like those physical restrictions may be understood in that historical context, buy may have created unequal access to medical education for the community who may benefit the most, etc.... In this way, I think the moral lesson changes, and makes it sound like a social inequality story...?
I see... that would make sense because of my grandfather's background. Thank you, I think I can definitely use this for my answer!

You should definitely use this story. Adcoms will think you and your grandpa are very cool rebels. Maybe wear a leather jacket to your interview and spark a cig.

Status
Not open for further replies.