Secondary application timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LINK1290

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people say that for schools with rolling admission, it's best to submit secondary applications within about one to two weeks of receiving the email invitation. I'm not sure about the logic behind this. Schools don't review primary applications until they've been reviewed by AMCAS, so doesn't that mean it doesn't matter when you submit your secondary application as long as it's sometime within the window that AMCAS is verifying the primary? I guess I could see the "one to two weeks" rule being relevant to those who submit AMCAS early enough that the verification process only takes a few days, but for those of us who have to wait a few weeks for AMCAS to do its job, it shouldn't matter so much, right?

I guess I'll ask a second question while I'm at it. I'm a Texas resident, so I applied to several schools using TMDSAS. This means that only three schools that I applied to through AMCAS have rolling admissions: Baylor, Johns Hopkins, and WashU. Due to extenuating circumstances, I wasn't able to submit AMCAS until July 6, and I really wish I could have submitted it in June. This may be a somewhat neurotic question, but did I hurt my chances by waiting until July 6 to submit? I have a 3.89 GPA, a 36Q, and what I consider to be reasonably strong work/activities, if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

The one to two week rule applies for those who have already been verified by AMCAS and the application transmitted to the medical schools.

The one to two week rule applies for those who have already been verified by AMCAS and the application transmitted to the medical schools.

All right, just checking. Thanks for the confirmation.

Anyone have any thoughts on my second question? I know it's not too relevant to the first question, but it's been on my mind for a while.