Secondary clinical research - is it useful on an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravensarecool

Reaction score
I'm currently working under a program director/PI at a hospital in Canada, where they encourage students to publish their own independent projects under a PhD/MD mentor, using existing datasets for secondary analysis.

This is alongside helping establish systematic reviews/meta-analyses as background to novel therapies, that they're currently doing clinical trials for.

Would this type of research still be considered valuable/productive on an application?

I've heard most T20s/research-focused schools favor basic, primary research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently working under a program director/PI at a hospital in Canada, where they encourage students to publish their own independent projects under a PhD/MD mentor, using existing datasets for secondary analysis.

This is alongside helping establish systematic reviews/meta-analyses as background to novel therapies, that they're currently doing clinical trials for.

Would this type of research still be considered valuable/productive on an application?

I've heard most T20s/research-focused schools favor basic, primary research.
Very much so. This is similar to a lot of medical student research.