Secondary clinical research - is it useful on an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ravensarecool

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently working under a program director/PI at a hospital in Canada, where they encourage students to publish their own independent projects under a PhD/MD mentor, using existing datasets for secondary analysis.

This is alongside helping establish systematic reviews/meta-analyses as background to novel therapies, that they're currently doing clinical trials for.

Would this type of research still be considered valuable/productive on an application?

I've heard most T20s/research-focused schools favor basic, primary research.
 
Last edited:
I'm currently working under a program director/PI at a hospital in Canada, where they encourage students to publish their own independent projects under a PhD/MD mentor, using existing datasets for secondary analysis.

This is alongside helping establish systematic reviews/meta-analyses as background to novel therapies, that they're currently doing clinical trials for.

Would this type of research still be considered valuable/productive on an application?

I've heard most T20s/research-focused schools favor basic, primary research.
Very much so. This is similar to a lot of medical student research.