Secondary "Diversity" Response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CKP7175

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you should make a big deal out of it. I happen to know quite a few comedic and quirky premeds, so it really isn't all that unique.

Hey guys,

In my response to schools' diversity prompts I've included a few sentences about my personality (comedic, quirky, don't take myself too seriously) and talked about how I've been known to brighten the mood of the group in class, at work, and in my personal life. I figured this would be good to mention, as many premeds are devoid of comedy and quirkiness, and I think my personality could bring something unique to the class. Is this reasonable/beneficial to add? I haven't seen many others do it, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

As long as you don't write something as insensitive as "many premeds are devoid of comedy and quirkiness," I guess it's fine. I'd still try to find something else to talk about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be cool to speak about a specific instance and how you think you handled it with your quirkiness in a unique way. If that makes sense

I wouldn't just say "I'm funny" and leave it at that. Also, there's a difference between having a sense of humor and being a goofball. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of pre-meds have senses of humor, and just aren't goofballs. Being a goober could easily be taken as a sign of immaturity and insecurity. That being said I think not taking yourself too seriously would be a great thing to talk about, because it means you have a sense of humility and don't get caught up in all the BS people with puffed up egos get into. You could talk about how you came to not take yourself too seriously from your upbringing or experiences of falling off your high horse etc and how that humble self image has helped you in your school, relationships, hobbies and how your humility can help others by making you more approachable. I guarantee you that there will be unique material in there that sets you apart from others, because there's only ever been one you on the planet. You just have to look.