Secondary essay: Should an applicant name the medical student who shared information about the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverrunner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says.

If an applicant is close friends with a current student and quotes some of their positive observations about the medical school in their "Why Us" essay, is it appropriate to provide the name of the student? The current student is in good standing at the school, and would feel comfortable giving a positive, accurate recommendation for the applicant if contacted by the admissions office.
Not looking to game the system, just wondering if it's better to leave the name out of the essay, or to include it, when follow-up would be constructive and not a stretch of the connection between the applicant and student. Not a romantic entanglement, by the way.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like the title says.

If an applicant is close friends with a current student and quotes some of their positive observations about the medical school in their "Why Us" essay, is it appropriate to provide the name of the student? The current student is in good standing at the school, and would feel comfortable giving a positive, accurate recommendation for the applicant if contacted by the admissions office.
Not looking to game the system, just wondering if it's better to leave the name out of the essay, or to include it, when follow-up would be constructive and not a stretch of the connection between the applicant and student. Not a romantic entanglement, by the way.

Thanks!
I don't think it adds anything, other than the appearance that you are trying to name drop. If you want to use the person as a reference, go ahead, but why name them in an essay? I don't think it helps or hurts substantively, but I don't think it looks good. JMHO.

Thanks KnightDoc. I'm wondering if it seems mysterious not to include the name. As I read the essay, I ask, "huh, I wonder who this applicant knows?" I tend to agree with you though- anything that smacks of name-dropping seems like an overstep.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks KnightDoc. I'm wondering if it seems mysterious not to include the name. As I read the essay, I ask, "huh, I wonder who this applicant knows?" I tend to agree with you though- anything that smacks of name-dropping seems like an overstep.
Nah -- this isn't Trump and "fake news; anonymous sources"!! You can just state all the great things you hear from current students and leave it at that. If they push you during an interview and ask who is saying such wonderful things, that would be the time to name names. Otherwise, it kinda looks like you are trying to imply they love Johnny and Johnny loves me, so they should just accept me! :cool: