Secondary Essay Topic...Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

slatewater

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm beginning pre-writing a few general secondary essays, and I had a question regarding one about a personal achievement. I'm bilingual in French from an English/Iranian family (went to a school run under the French govt for 10 years in a French-speaking country) and was wondering if that could be an appropriate answer to that question.

While not necessarily a singular achievement at a moment in my life, I was thinking that I could present the gradual accumulation of events and pieces along the way, and also the opportunities (both medical and personal) that arose from learning the language and culture.

Thoughts? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure why not
If it's an achievement to you then it's an achievement you should write about.
 
Thanks for the responses. Do you guys think it appropriate to position this as an achievement "outside of the classroom"? IMO I would say its equal parts academic and extracurricular at first, then transitions much more into extracurricular/cultural as you get older...any thoughts?

My point being - could I use this experience as a response to "personal achievement outside an academic setting" secondary prompt? Thanks!
 
Obviously I haven't read your story and don't know all the details. You said that you are bilingual in French because you went to school for 10 years in a French Speaking country. Please tell me if I understood incorrectly.

It seems to me this is great fodder for the diversity essay. But since you learned it in school, and you kinda had no choice, I personally don't view it as a "personal achievement" as much (especially in an academic setting).