secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmania

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was writing my secondary essay for Ohio University and was having a writers block. I have shadowed more MD's than DO's, so I was thinking to talk about my experience with MD and how it made me determine that DO is my "thing". How will I go about doing that without making the MD look like a douche?:confused:

PLEASE, HELP ME!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying this cycle so I haven't given this deep thought but I've started working on my PS and what I'm trying to incorporate is showing that I care for the undeserved. I have had personal family experience with the healthcare system that made me decide that I need to do what I can on my part to "make a difference". Maybe incorporate something like this?
That's just my two cents though they're not worth much at the moment.

Yeah, I have incorporated that underserved community. Many people will go at it by saying " I saw this this and this at the DO's practice with patient X" It attracted me and that is why I want to do it.

I realize, I can't really say that since I don't have that close experience with a DO. So I wanted to go from a comparison POV that wouldn't make the MD look bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you shadowed a doctor who has performed OMT, you could talk about that difference between DO and MD.

I was writing my secondary essay for Ohio University and was having a writers block. I have shadowed more MD's than DO's, so I was thinking to talk about my experience with MD and how it made me determine that DO is my "thing". How will I go about doing that without making the MD look like a douche?:confused:

PLEASE, HELP ME!

Honestly, I wouldn't do this. I have shadowed a DO and an MD as well. Instead of talking about how the MD didn't do xyz but the DO did made you choose DO, you should just restrict the discussion to what the DO did specifically that impressed you. No matter how you may put it, you run the risk of drawing comparisons between the DO in a manner in which someone can possibly get offended. An MD could be reading this and refute your claim by saying that most MDs can also do xyz or something like that. Always better to be on the safe side.

Honestly, I wouldn't do this. I have shadowed a DO and an MD as well. Instead of talking about how the MD didn't do xyz but the DO did made you choose DO, you should just restrict the discussion to what the DO did specifically that impressed you. No matter how you may put it, you run the risk of drawing comparisons between the DO in a manner in which someone can possibly get offended. An MD could be reading this and refute your claim by saying that most MDs can also do xyz or something like that. Always better to be on the safe side.

Good point. :thumbup:

PLEASE, HELP ME!

I was considering the same sort of angle for an essay. It was recommended to me not to name the physician that did not do X, Y or Z as an MD or a DO, but just as a physician.

Instead of saying "While watching Dr. Allo, I noticed that he did not do this, and I wondered if Dr. Osteo would have done some manipulation thing... I realized that I wanted to become a DO like Dr. Osteo."

You could say something like "While job shadowing a physician, I realized that I wanted to become an osteopathic physician because in a situation that I observed. I think that this sort of manipulation would be able to make a difference in the outcome in the treatment of the patient. I would like to be able to offer that sort of treatment to my patients when I become a physician."

The second example does not disrespect any physician, MD or DO. It also does state one reason that you may want to become a DO as an added bonus.

I hope I helped you and your question. Unless, of course, you are competing with me for the same seat in a school where I want to go. :)

Good luck with your essay. Make it great!

dsoz

This. I shadowed both MDs and DOs and stuck to the DO impressions. I also agree with not wanting to piss anyone off by saying something that someone else might view as inflammatory. There are MDs teaching at DO schools. In fact, there was an MD interviewer at LECOM when I interviewed.

thanks for the responses. I'll keep that in mind for each of my essays

Bull**** as much possible about how DO's treat the whole person, how they use elegant OMT techniques and how your DO's were outwardly so much more prepared and better with their patients that they made you decide become a DO.
That's pretty much it to be honesty. You just have to bull**** out of your ass and accept the lie that there is statistically something different about how DO's practice medicine in comparison to MDs and to make up anecdotes en-mass.

Bull**** as much possible about how DO's treat the whole person, how they use elegant OMT techniques and how your DO's were outwardly so much more prepared and better with their patients that they made you decide become a DO.
That's pretty much it to be honesty. You just have to bull**** out of your ass and accept the lie that there is statistically something different about how DO's practice medicine in comparison to MDs and to make up anecdotes en-mass.

lmao

Yah, I really wish DO schools would stop asking this question and expecting serious non-contrived answers.

Honestly, I feel like they've heard the answer so many times that it shouldn't even matter how unique your answer is, as long as you can communicate your ideas in an adequate manner. Idk how true that is but that's how I'd feel.

I was considering the same sort of angle for an essay. It was recommended to me not to name the physician that did not do X, Y or Z as an MD or a DO, but just as a physician.

Instead of saying "While watching Dr. Allo, I noticed that he did not do this, and I wondered if Dr. Osteo would have done some manipulation thing... I realized that I wanted to become a DO like Dr. Osteo."

You could say something like "While job shadowing a physician, I realized that I wanted to become an osteopathic physician because in a situation that I observed. I think that this sort of manipulation would be able to make a difference in the outcome in the treatment of the patient. I would like to be able to offer that sort of treatment to my patients when I become a physician."

The second example does not disrespect any physician, MD or DO. It also does state one reason that you may want to become a DO as an added bonus.

I hope I helped you and your question. Unless, of course, you are competing with me for the same seat in a school where I want to go. :)

Good luck with your essay. Make it great!

dsoz

this is an awesome idea. I could have never word it better than you. What schools are you shooting for?

Honestly, I feel like they've heard the answer so many times that it shouldn't even matter how unique your answer is, as long as you can communicate your ideas in an adequate manner. Idk how true that is but that's how I'd feel.

I agree! They've read the answer too many times.
I suggest you simply write your experience appropriately and well, hope for the best :thumbup: