1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Secondary Essays And What Not To Say

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HorseOfJuly1394, Aug 15, 2015.

1. HorseOfJuly1394

Medical Student
    Hi folks,
    I am currently in the process of finishing my secondary applications for several allopathic medical school, and although I have completed most of my essays, I have two types of essay questions which I am hesitant to turn in as of this moment:
    1. What is your greatest non-academic achievement?
    So far, in my essays, I have written about my involvement in my university's Gamelan Orchestra. This is great, and all, but I cannot really see how this will strengthen my case for admissions, set aside diversity and teamwork. I have been thinking about writing on a youth group that I was really passionate about in highschool. My only problem with this latter focus is that I have never held a 'formal' leadership position (that is, a title), and besides a few programs I was never quite involved in actually planning anything. I was just a participant.

2. What are you passionate about and why?
    I have only had one essay asking about this so far (U. Mich), and for that I wrote about my interest in old film and newsreels, etc., and about how I value learning from the past. Again, for me, I just worry that medical school admissions do not really want to hear about my collecting old media.

I feel that my essays are well crafted, and that it would be a shame to throw them away just so that I can write about something more pertinent. My question is, should I discard and rewrite these essays?

Thanks again,
    Horsey.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GCS-15

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    In my opinion- I don't think it really matters what you say, but how you convey it. I wouldn't think of not writing something just because admissions wouldn't see it as pertinent. If you really want to talk about university orchestra- write about it and make sure you really show why you it was a big achievement. To me, your answers look fine, but make sure you can really elaborate on them and be sincere. As far as your answer for number 2- I think that's actually really cool aha.

jlh19 likes this.
  4. TheRhymenocerous

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think those sound good! If I were on an admissions committee, I would be way more interested in reading an essay about your interest in old film than yet another essay about someone's passion for research or helping people.

hiphopcrates likes this.
  5. neekzg

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1) orchestra idea sounds solid. would definitely stay away from high school activities if you haven't been continuing it since then.
    2) also sounds solid. Make sure your personality and character shine through with this essay! If this is a hobby that truly excites you (and you can convey that) then I think it would make for a great read.

6. Gandyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This double avatar thing though

md-2020 likes this.
  7. HorseOfJuly1394

Medical Student
    Hah, this is really great guys. Thanks for your responses! :)