Secondary for Duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DoubleU

Hey, does anyone have any info about Duke's secondary? I don't see it anywhere on the "secondaries already out" thread, so I presume that it isn't out yet? They are one of only a couple that I haven't heard from yet and I'm starting to get anxious...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DoubleU said:
Hey, does anyone have any info about Duke's secondary? I don't see it anywhere on the "secondaries already out" thread, so I presume that it isn't out yet? They are one of only a couple that I haven't heard from yet and I'm starting to get anxious...

Thanks!
duke hasn't sent it out yet

Members don't see this ad :)
WTF Duke? Why doesn't a great school like that have their Sh!+ together?

i think they are reconsidering their essays...

southpaux said:
i think they are reconsidering their essays...
if during that "reconsidering" they decide to get rid of them completely, i may jump for joy.

Erina said:
if during that "reconsidering" they decide to get rid of them completely, i may jump for joy.

I concur

This is the beast they had in previous years: :scared:

1. Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine? (500 characters)
2. Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you? (500 characters)
3. Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine? (500 characters)
4. Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why. (500 characters)
5. Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title. (500 characters)
6. Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal. (500 characters)
7. Outside of the classroom, (i.e., encounters with academic dishonesty, etc.) describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with or meet this challenge? (1000 characters)
8. The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and “life-altering” technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients. (1000 characters)

Gabujabu said:
This is the beast they had in previous years: :scared:

1. Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine? (500 characters)
2. Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you? (500 characters)
3. Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine? (500 characters)
4. Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why. (500 characters)
5. Please provide a chronological list of your work experience while in college, or subsequent to your graduation, if applicable. Please indicate the length of your employment, number of hours worked/week, and your exact job title. (500 characters)
6. Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal. (500 characters)
7. Outside of the classroom, (i.e., encounters with academic dishonesty, etc.) describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with or meet this challenge? (1000 characters)
8. The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and “life-altering” technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients. (1000 characters)

oh. i thought it was full length essays. 500 characters isnt that bad... if i remember correctly i had to do 4 essays 1000 char for rush..

I've already been asked most of the questions, though with different character limits. It's a bit annoying when different schools ask the same question with different character limits (500, 1000, 2000, etc).

Yeah, the only one I haven't had to answer yet is the last one, so it shouldn't be too tough. Unless they come up with a whole new uber-long list of questions :eek: .

Members don't see this ad :)
Erina said:

word

Hey that's not bad at all.
I hope it stays that way. :love:

I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

I personally am a bit sick of writing secondary essays and really would like to get done with them soon. That's what I spent much of the last 4 weeks doing.

PHD_2007 said:
Hey that's not bad at all.
I hope it stays that way. :love:

I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Choke yourself - with my hands numbnuts!

J/K :)

Do you think that DUKE is doing this to see who really wants to apply? Its weird that it would take this long to create a new secondary. Just a thought.......

~Head Conspiracy Theorist :cool:
STILL LOVE DUKE THOUGH!!!!!!!

it's really not that bad. trust me. by the time you've done like 10 secondaries, duke will just come naturally, or just copy and paste :)

Yeah, but I'm all up to date and going nuts waiting on them. It's only Duke and 2 others that I'm waiting for, and it's driving me insance waiting - I've had no news from anyone this whole week.

PHD_2007 said:
Do you think that DUKE is doing this to see who really wants to apply? Its weird that it would take this long to create a new secondary. Just a thought.......

~Head Conspiracy Theorist :cool:
STILL LOVE DUKE THOUGH!!!!!!!

ATTENTION DUKE: I want to apply!

You've got to love Duke. If they wait until November, December, or January to put out their secondary, some people will already have acceptances, and most people will be sick of writing essays. They just don't want to go through thousands of applicants. It's working for me. I think I'm done with filling out secondaries.

OofWillis said:
You've got to love Duke. If they wait until November, December, or January to put out their secondary, some people will already have acceptances, and most people will be sick of writing essays. They just don't want to go through thousands of applicants. It's working for me. I think I'm done with filling out secondaries.

Ya i totaly agree with you...

I say it again...where the F*&% is Duke?!!!

"The Duke Secondary Application is undergoing additional revisions recommended by the School of Medicine Executive Committee.

The technical development team expects to have the revisions completed shortly. Applicants with completed AMCAS applications will receive an email verifying receipt of their AMCAS application and an invitation to begin and complete the Duke Secondary Application.

Thank you for your patience."

http://dukemed.duke.edu/AccountLogin/index.cfm

thank you for that wonderful bit of information, Dr. D! :D
very informative. so duke, get on it!! :p

"additional revisions" ???

I hope they mean subtraction of certain portions of the secondary ;)

:luck: haha, i asked them about the length jokingly but they didn't say. all they said was they changed the questions around a bit, probably the same length, i'd assume. good luck, you guys!

Dr. D - You rock!

Duke - Be gentle!

A friend of mine who is a MS1 at Duke said that the admissions office said they have been experiencing delays with AMCAS which have been a large part of the problem in getting secondaries out. She also says they expect the secondaries to be out by the end of this week. Since that gives them only two days, I would take this part with a grain of salt....

CaramelDlite said:
A friend of mine who is a MS1 at Duke said that the admissions office said they have been experiencing delays with AMCAS which have been a large part of the problem in getting secondaries out. She also says they expect the secondaries to be out by the end of this week. Since that gives them only two days, I would take this part with a grain of salt....

It would be nice if that's correct. I'm really feeling ready to be done with secondaries and this is the one that I've wanted the most.

I was waiting until I finished all my other secondaries before I looked at Stanford's (but I cheated--I have one other one to do). After seeing those questions, I really don't want the Duke secondary to come out anytime soon. Give me at least a week. Or take out the essays. Geez, Stanford, 4,000 chars? And that first question? Don't even get me started...

so much for the end of this week....

Did you guys at least get an email confirmation of the primary from them?
Duke's my only school that hasn't contacted me yet...

Duke is way behind everyone else...

Oh, and just called their office. they're saying 99% by the end of August.
Also, doesn't look like they're going to push back the deadline either.

Has anyone gotten the actual email invite yet? I've heard that it's online, but was going to wait until I got the official email, but was afraid I missed it?

One person on SDN claims they have received the email. Either they're part of a small test group or they just logged in without the email - I kinda want to call BS on invite email since all of us received the "we're working on it" email on the same day and I've heard of no one else with the invite email.

One person on SDN claims they have received the email. Either they're part of a small test group or they just logged in without the email - I kinda want to call BS on invite email since all of us received the "we're working on it" email on the same day and I've heard of no one else with the invite email.

Lol, umm so I guess you're talking about me? I got the email, but if it makes you feel better I can say I didnt though :p . P.S. about 5-6 other people got it too, like I said, check out the "Duke Secondary On-Line Thread"

I affirm that BS on the email invite. I called yesterday and they said that they have yet to send them out...

For your reading pleasure:

[My name here]

Welcome to the Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application and Personal Account System (PAS). We have received your application from the American Medical College Application Service and would like to extend an invitation to have you complete our Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application.

To begin the Duke Supplemental Application you should visit the Duke University School of Medicine Admissions Website http://www.dukemed.duke.edu (it may be necessary to copy and paste this link into your web browser) and accessing the "Account Login" section of the site.

When you visit the site for the first time you should click on the link that reads:

"Is this your first time visiting the site? Click here!"

You will then be prompted to create a profile which will provide you with an opportunity to choose a login and password of your choice. Only after completing the profile will you be able to begin your Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application......(goes on forever and a day)

Hope this quells your insecurities, but part of me really doubts that....

For your reading pleasure:

[My name here]

Welcome to the Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application and Personal Account System (PAS). We have received your application from the American Medical College Application Service and would like to extend an invitation to have you complete our Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application.

To begin the Duke Supplemental Application you should visit the Duke University School of Medicine Admissions Website http://www.dukemed.duke.edu (it may be necessary to copy and paste this link into your web browser) and accessing the "Account Login" section of the site.

When you visit the site for the first time you should click on the link that reads:

"Is this your first time visiting the site? Click here!"

You will then be prompted to create a profile which will provide you with an opportunity to choose a login and password of your choice. Only after completing the profile will you be able to begin your Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application......(goes on forever and a day)

Hope this quells your insecurities, but part of me really doubts that....

Wait, so where is that from? Is this the one we think is bogus? Or did you actually receive the email?

EDIT:
Or not. Still reads "The Duke Secondary Application is undergoing additional revisions recommended by the School of Medicine Executive Committee. The technical development team expects to have the revisions completed shortly. Applicants with completed AMCAS applications will receive an email verifying receipt of their AMCAS application and an invitation to begin and complete the Duke Secondary Application. Thank you for your patience."

since duke doesn't screen, there's not much to be insecure about - just anxiousness in wanting to finish up my LAST secondary

since duke doesn't screen, there's not much to be insecure about - just anxiousness in wanting to finish up my LAST secondary

So true, as I'd love to get it finished up before classes get crazy. Although I still haven't heard back from U Washington, and UC Davis for secondaries. OOS has its disadvantages...