Secondary: Overcoming a Challenge Prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Pancakes24

Reaction score
Hi all - I hope everyone is doing well!

I am struggling on what topic to pick for my overcoming a challenge prompt. As many, I've faced so many challenges in my life and all are meaningful to me in different ways. One challenge that I struggled with a lot in college and impacted some of my opportunities was having severe vocal nodules. I would not be able to speak for days or sometimes weeks, and this would be very unpredictable. I had to give up many opportunities to speak at conferences, presentations during school, and even ask questions to professors during lectures. However, it took an emotional toll on me as well as I was unable to continue being a tour guide, which was one of my favorite things to do, and it was difficult for me to interact with kids who I worked with in my volunteer roles. Additionally, it simply felt embarrassing and I was unable to be included in conversations - I'm probably the most extroverted person on Earth, so you can imagine an extrovert not able to speak. It also allowed me to emphasize with those who are unable to communicate in a traditional way and see how our world is molded for those with more conventional abilities.

However, I don't want this challenge to hurt me in any way. I now go to vocal chord therapy and have not had this issue in over a year. I've also learned a lot from the experience by being more inclusive of others who may have various abilities.

Any advice on this would be very helpful, and of course, appreciated. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.