"Secondary" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone and marry Christmas,

I am planning to apply to DO schools this coming June. Right after submitting my primary application on AACOMAS, there's a chance that I might be participating in a summer medical research overseas. I am sure wherever I go I will have access to internet, but I won't have access to my "physical" mail until I come back home (mid August). Therefore, I was wondering about how I would be responding to secondaries.

Are the secondary applications electronic (similar to AACOMAS)? if not, how soon after submitting the primary do school mail them out?

and

What type of supplemental documents will I need to submit along with secondaries?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of them are electronic and require you to submit a few essays along with some personal information.

A few still use paper applications, but they generally email them to you and you fill them out and mail it back in.

For the ones I applied to all you needed was a computer, internet and a credit card to fill out the app.

Best

Most of them are electronic and require you to submit a few essays along with some personal information.

A few still use paper applications, but they generally email them to you and you fill them out and mail it back in.

For the ones I applied to all you needed was a computer, internet and a credit card to fill out the app.

Best

Thank you Art3MiS,

I have another question. As far as I understood from reading through AACOMAS website, LOR's are to be submitted along with the secondaries. Do applicants ask the authors of these letters to print multiple copies of the letters? or are they also submitted electronically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Art3MiS,

I have another question. As far as I understood from reading through AACOMAS website, LOR's are to be submitted along with the secondaries. Do applicants ask the authors of these letters to print multiple copies of the letters? or are they also submitted electronically?

you can create an interfolio accounts and ask the authors of those letter to sent to interfolio address and you can send those LORS via email to your schools of choosing.

you can create an interfolio accounts and ask the authors of those letter to sent to interfolio address and you can send those LORS via email to your schools of choosing.

:thumbup:

I don't know if you have an interfolio account.. but that's what I used to make mine. I actually sent all my schools my LOR's after sending them my primary application, and that worked for me.

In any case, interfolio is a good way so just in case you forgot to send a letter, you can send one electronically for pretty cheap and not bother all your letter of rec writers.

To tag onto yellowperil's post, Interfolio is a MUST when applying through AACOMAS. If you aren't familiar with it, it's an electronic server where you can send (by mail) 1 copy of your LOR. So for example... a physician who's writing your LOR can send 1 copy of his letter to Interfolio, then Interfolio will scan it and upload it onto your account. From this, you can choose where you want to send an electronic copy of this letter... and it'll stay in your account for as long as you keep your account active (you'll only need a year assuming you don't reapply).

Very easy to use, very cost efficient, and VERY helpful.

I always go crazy when it comes to Interfolio... I should be their spokesperson. :cool:

To tag onto yellowperil's post, Interfolio is a MUST when applying through AACOMAS. If you aren't familiar with it, it's an electronic server where you can send (by mail) 1 copy of your LOR. So for example... a physician who's writing your LOR can send 1 copy of his letter to Interfolio, then Interfolio will scan it and upload it onto your account. From this, you can choose where you want to send an electronic copy of this letter... and it'll stay in your account for as long as you keep your account active (you'll only need a year assuming you don't reapply).

I always go crazy when it comes to Interfolio... I should be their spokesperson. :cool:

Yes, should.

Thank you everyone.

Do we get to read LORs from our account? Also, is it possible for our reference to electronically send in the letter to Interfolio instead of printing and physically sending it to them?

Do we get to read LORs from our account? Also, is it possible for our reference to electronically send in the letter to Interfolio instead of printing and physically sending it to them?

No. LORs are confidential, and unless your letter writer gives you a copy of it, you can't see it.

And yes, the letter writer just needs to make an account as a letter writer and upload it for you. Theres a little section that says, "request a letter of rec" or something of that sort, and you put in the person's email, name etc and it'll request. They can upload it from there

No. LORs are confidential, and unless your letter writer gives you a copy of it, you can't see it.

And yes, the letter writer just needs to make an account as a letter writer and upload it for you. Theres a little section that says, "request a letter of rec" or something of that sort, and you put in the person's email, name etc and it'll request. They can upload it from there

It's even easier than that. If you print out the cover sheet for the letter given to you on Interfolio, just give your letter writer a stamped envelope with Interfolio's mailing address on it, slip this cover letter inside, and hand him/her the envelope. All your letter writer has to do then is type up his letter (make sure there's a letter-head on it), stick it in the envelope along with the cover letter, and mail it.

It's even easier than that. If you print out the cover sheet for the letter given to you on Interfolio, just give your letter writer a stamped envelope with Interfolio's mailing address on it, slip this cover letter inside, and hand him/her the envelope. All your letter writer has to do then is type up his letter (make sure there's a letter-head on it), stick it in the envelope along with the cover letter, and mail it.

Didn't know that! Thanks :)

Interfolio makes LORs not such a pain