Secondary topic #616!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoBad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sure everyone is so tired of secondaries the mere sight the word is like needles in the eye, so I apologize in advance for the pain :D

mini WALL OF TEXT INC

So when it comes to secondaries in general, I feel that although it's supposed to give a better idea of who we are, there is also a kind of "meta-writing" (probably not a word....) going on. If it says "describe the hardest moment in your life", people give me the advice that you should relate it back to how it makes you a better physician or how it makes you a better fit for their school. Am I just thinking too much about it? When I get a prompt that asks me to talk about myself, I feel there's so much to write, but the fact that I feel compelled to relate it to medicine (even though it's not in the prompt) completely paralyzes me. Someone tell me I'm over thinking things please :eek:.

Also, how do you guys deal with the questions asking why we want to go to a school or why their programs make us interested in them? Cause honestly, after browsing through 10-15 different schools using their websites/wikis/sdn, they always sound like fantastic programs and have great curriculums, but hardly "unique".... I feel like if I write about why I want to go to a school, there's a nagging feeling that says to me, " those other schools have the same thing, why are you emphasizing this?". Is there any way to find out more of the school's unique points that I can learn more about?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm sure everyone is so tired of secondaries the mere sight the word is like needles in the eye, so I apologize in advance for the pain :D

mini WALL OF TEXT INC

So when it comes to secondaries in general, I feel that although it's supposed to give a better idea of who we are, there is also a kind of "meta-writing" (probably not a word....) going on. If it says "describe the hardest moment in your life", people give me the advice that you should relate it back to how it makes you a better physician or how it makes you a better fit for their school. Am I just thinking too much about it? When I get a prompt that asks me to talk about myself, I feel there's so much to write, but the fact that I feel compelled to relate it to medicine (even though it's not in the prompt) completely paralyzes me. Someone tell me I'm over thinking things please :eek:.

Also, how do you guys deal with the questions asking why we want to go to a school or why their programs make us interested in them? Cause honestly, after browsing through 10-15 different schools using their websites/wikis/sdn, they always sound like fantastic programs and have great curriculums, but hardly "unique".... I feel like if I write about why I want to go to a school, there's a nagging feeling that says to me, " those other schools have the same thing, why are you emphasizing this?". Is there any way to find out more of the school's unique points that I can learn more about?

definitely relate it to medicine if it's an open-ended question.