Secondary Topic Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to put another one of these out here, but I am working on prewriting my secondaries. Anywho, I appreciate any advice or direction anyone can give me. I've broken up my ideas into the main topics that I've seen so far: Adversity, Diversity, and Failure/Challenge
Adversity:
1. Dad passing. Carrying chip on my shoulder. Learning to actually deal with it. I was 13 when he passed away from cancer and I didn't really handle it very well. Finally came to terms with it in college. I don't want to trivialize or be trite however.
2. I spent two years as a volunteer in Russia. I had to learn Russian, the culture, and everything about interacting with a whole new set of people. It was definitely a difficult time, but I managed to make it.
Diversity:
1. Growing up in Montana. I spent my whole life in Montana until I transferred to college in Utah. I wasn't in the smallest town, but I definitely spent a lot of time in rural areas and have family in very small towns. I figured this would be a good one for big urban schools possibly?
2. Russia again. I spent all that time in Eastern Russia and learned a lot of new cultures, people, and such that I think is a unique experience.
Failure/Challenge:
1. Back once more to Russia. I struggled to learn Russian and was assigned to teach new volunteers when I did not feel capable myself. I have some very specific experiences and was able to overcome and help them, as well as train more and move into leadership positions.
2. After my dad passed away, I didn't have the strongest relationship with my brother or my family for that matter. I realized this a few years back and have worked hard to really grow and strengthen those relationships.
Academics:
1. I have some W's on my transcript. I didn't take school very seriously and fairly recently decided to apply to medical school (about 2 years ago) and so I put my head on right and did better after that, but I have heard it's best to not draw attention to the negatives, so I'm thinking about not bringing it up so it doesn't sound like I'm making excuses.

I'm sorry this post got so long, but if any of these seem good or if I should keep brainstorming, please let me know! Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am hearing your plea, and am thinking that you may not be getting responses because they are all good ideas, and a lot depends on how well you can write about these experiences, especially in terms of how you've grown and what you can give.

As far as the withdrawals, I agree that you are better off not drawing attention to negatives unless they have all occurred within a short time span, which would indicate a particular stressor going on at that point in your life.

Anyway, this post will give another bump for visibility's sake!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I favor the ones I made red:
Sorry to put another one of these out here, but I am working on prewriting my secondaries. Anywho, I appreciate any advice or direction anyone can give me. I've broken up my ideas into the main topics that I've seen so far: Adversity, Diversity, and Failure/Challenge
Adversity:
1. Dad passing. Carrying chip on my shoulder. Learning to actually deal with it. I was 13 when he passed away from cancer and I didn't really handle it very well. Finally came to terms with it in college. I don't want to trivialize or be trite however.
2. I spent two years as a volunteer in Russia. I had to learn Russian, the culture, and everything about interacting with a whole new set of people. It was definitely a difficult time, but I managed to make it.
Diversity:
1. Growing up in Montana. I spent my whole life in Montana until I transferred to college in Utah. I wasn't in the smallest town, but I definitely spent a lot of time in rural areas and have family in very small towns. I figured this would be a good one for big urban schools possibly?
2. Russia again. I spent all that time in Eastern Russia and learned a lot of new cultures, people, and such that I think is a unique experience.

Failure/Challenge:
1. Back once more to Russia. I struggled to learn Russian and was assigned to teach new volunteers when I did not feel capable myself. I have some very specific experiences and was able to overcome and help them, as well as train more and move into leadership positions.
2. After my dad passed away, I didn't have the strongest relationship with my brother or my family for that matter. I realized this a few years back and have worked hard to really grow and strengthen those relationships.
Academics:
1. I have some W's on my transcript. I didn't take school very seriously and fairly recently decided to apply to medical school (about 2 years ago) and so I put my head on right and did better after that, but I have heard it's best to not draw attention to the negatives, so I'm thinking about not bringing it up so it doesn't sound like I'm making excuses.

Reactions: 1 users
I am hearing your plea, and am thinking that you may not be getting responses because they are all good ideas, and a lot depends on how well you can write about these experiences, especially in terms of how you've grown and what you can give.

As far as the withdrawals, I agree that you are better off not drawing attention to negatives unless they have all occurred within a short time span, which would indicate a particular stressor going on at that point in your life.

Anyway, this post will give another bump for visibility's sake!
Thank you ver mucha