Secondary Topic (Sensitive Matter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonscientist

Applying (Gap Year)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning out my secondaries and I know that one of the common questions is concerning the biggest challenge you have faced.

In high school I was raped and struggled for years to come to terms with the trauma that occurred to me. I sought out therapy, got an emotional support dog, and began channeling my frustrations into a large art installation that was exhibited in three iterations and written about in one online journal. The art became my way to heal and to give back to my community in the form of advocacy.

I'm concerned that adcoms might be uncomfortable with this topic, as it involves an aspect of mental illness (PTSD). I am also hesitant that this subject is still taboo (victim blaming). I was curious if anyone could offer any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say I am sorry about everything you have been through. :( *hugs* I am a fellow survivor and have also wondered about whether or not to mention it in secondary prompts when relevant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say I am sorry about everything you have been through. :( *hugs* I am a fellow survivor and have also wondered about whether or not to mention it in secondary prompts when relevant.

I'm so sorry you had to go through such a terrible experience as well. It's a tough place. You never know how people will react when you broach the subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not include content you aren't comfortable discussing with strangers.

I would say I've grown to be quite comfortable talking about it with strangers, as I was interviewed about my artwork and advocacy. If brought up in an interview, I would be able to speak to my experiences. However, I didn't know if this topic would reflect negatively on me as an applicant?

I would say I've grown to be quite comfortable talking about it with strangers, as I was interviewed about my artwork and advocacy. If brought up in an interview, I would be able to speak to my experiences. However, I didn't know if this topic would reflect negatively on me as an applicant?

I think it will all depend on the tone. With anything sensitive, you have to be careful. And I don't mean that in a victim-blaming way - I would argue in fact that it's statistically likely other victims/advocates to read what you right. Consider that as well in writing about it.

I'd say go for it if you can speak about it in an interview without breaking down. What you have done shows resilience which is something adcoms are looking for. It shows an interest in helping inform the ignorant and give comfort to the suffering. (I don't mean ignorant in a pejorative way.)

Reactions: 4 users
LizzyM said it all above, your activities will make for a strong and unique application. Include it, please, so they know how you transformed that experience into something you can do for others. I haven't applied yet. but I can tell you that if I had half your strength, I'd want them to know my story.

Can you discuss it while not mentioning a formal diagnosis of PTSD?

Having interviewed two candidates who were rape victims, I ca tell you that you will be fine!

Can you discuss it while not mentioning a formal diagnosis of PTSD?

I could, but I feel that avoiding the formal diagnosis downplays the empathy I feel for my fellow survivors and other patients with mental illnesses. I've been receiving treatment for quite some time and have medication/coping mechanisms under control and an amazing support system, but the diagnosis is still applicable. It's a part of me, a deep wound that occasionally pulses and throbs with the trauma that occurred so long ago

I feel that in some ways, those four letters are the only way that some people can understand just how viscerally that event effected my entire life. I don't understand why anyone should be discriminated against for having a mental illness if it is being treated.

I could, but I feel that avoiding the formal diagnosis downplays the empathy I feel for my fellow survivors and other patients with mental illnesses. I've been receiving treatment for quite some time and have medication/coping mechanisms under control and an amazing support system, but the diagnosis is still applicable. It's a part of me, a deep wound that occasionally pulses and throbs with the trauma that occurred so long ago

I feel that in some ways, those four letters are the only way that some people can understand just how viscerally that event effected my entire life. I don't understand why anyone should be discriminated against for having a mental illness if it is being treated.

because in medicine we tolerate *any* even *perceived* "weakness" not well at all

the empathy we have for patients (often lacking at times) does not extend to our own, that's all

because in medicine we tolerate *any* even *perceived* "weakness" not well at all

the empathy we have for patients (often lacking at times) does not extend to our own, that's all

Isn't it rather hypocritical to praise resilience, but only if you made it through without a mental illness? Medical professionals are human beings, we suffer.

I do my best to never let my weakness show at work currently, though, so I'm familiar with that game. I wouldn't want my rPhs thinking I'm not able to handle a situation.

Pretty sure many med students could be diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder at some point or another. :p