Secondary: Unique aspect of your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnvisionMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN enthusiasts,

Here is one prompt from a secondary application:

· Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

In terms of uniqueness, is this something that is evident in the primary application or are they asking for new information not deduced from AMCAS.

This is how I would like to answer it:

Everything I have accomplished in my academic, professional, and personal matters has been through constant battle with my chronic deep venous thrombosis and taking care of my grandmother, who has succumbed to Alzheimer’s, from the ages of sixteen to twenty-five years of age.

Is this correct? May I bring health issues into the subject matter or will this give them a reason to think that I can be a liability to the medical school in the future?

(2nd post overall, please don't coerce me if I placed it in the wrong forum. I searched the forums before writing out the question.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This question is essentially "is there anything else you would like us to know?" - treat it as such

I will leave it to other posters to advise you whether or not this is a good idea.

Also, regarding another question:

Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

Can I explain how I built a computer from just having a single CPU Chip at age 18 and programmed it to start up? Will this example constitute a complex system?

Thank you, SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
bump. Would like to hear from other night owls. Thank you.

For the complex system, I would suggest a complex system involving a group dynamic or sociological factors, something that shows you can and know how to deal with other people navigate through their emotions or expectations. This is what I went for anyways. Sounds familiar though, penn state? Haha

I filled out half of these that I got on the secondaries that had it. I wasn't sure what to write so if they said in the instructions something to the effect of "any unique experience related to ECs" then I wrote something.

For the complex system, I would suggest a complex system involving a group dynamic or sociological factors

You got it, @BigChief. Penn state has an interesting way to ask questions. If complex systems= sociological interactions, then I am certain this question is meant to screen out the sociopaths!! I surely am not one and still am thinking about something as mundane as computer building in a group setting. Thank you for your help. I may write another essay and toss either of the two before submission.

Thank you @lostintranslation for chiming in and helping out.