Secondary: What's the point in asking what specialty you're interested in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted212936

... while you're not even a M1 student yet?
Right now I'm only focusing on getting in medical school :mad: Is it OK to write/say, "I don't know yet" ? Really, what are adcoms looking for in an answer?

Members don't see this ad.

... while you're not even a M1 student yet?
Right now I'm only focusing on getting in medical school :mad: Is it OK to write/say, "I don't know yet" ? Really, what are adcoms looking for in an answer?

Of course. Saying you'll know more after your clinical rotations is probably a good way to go.

They know that you'll probably change your mind after your clinical rotations, but I think they just want to know that you have at least some idea of what you want to do and why you're going into medicine. Medicine isn't some monolithic entity, so there has to be some specific experience that got you interested in the profession.

I just discussed briefly fields that I'm interested in, based on some of my experiences, and added that I might very well change my mind after rotations. As long as you give your own reasons and don't come of as too presumptuous ("I've always known I wanted to do orthopaedics"), you should be fine. Remember that humility goes a long way in this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools,particularly state ones (like FSU),really like hearing that applicants are interested in primary care, even if they don't eventually go into it (or have any real interest in it from the start).

They know that you'll probably change your mind after your clinical rotations, but I think they just want to know that you have at least some idea of what you want to do and why you're going into medicine. Medicine isn't some monolithic entity, so there has to be some specific experience that got you interested in the profession.

I just discussed briefly fields that I'm interested in, based on some of my experiences, and added that I might very well change my mind after rotations. As long as you give your own reasons and don't come of as too presumptuous ("I've always known I wanted to do orthopaedics"), you should be fine. Remember that humility goes a long way in this process.

:thumbup: Spot on. Thats exactly what I was gonna say to the OP, and what I said at my interviews.
Its also perfectly OK to say....'I dont know yet'

i dont know yet is the most realistic answer.

i think med schools like you to say something though - to show that you know a bit about what you are getting into. it is a sign of "confidence and commitment" (from adcom). i always thought the "not sure yet" answer was more confident. 2 - some schools like to see a certain focus as above pointed out

Be aware though that plastic surgeons and the like are rarely on admissions boards. You are much more likely to see primary care docs and primary care oriented staff members looking at your application. Hint Hint.

Yes I'd agree with this strongly,

my read is that the question allows the interviewee to share their general knowledge about one or more medical specialties, which in turn shows that this is a well thought out, and well researched, path.

I'd think saying that you're thinking about, for example, pediatrics because you've always enjoyed working with children, volunteered in a children's shelter, and shadowed a pediatrician, but you're open to the many areas you'll learn in medical school would be a better response than than a blank stare and "I don't know".

Be honest by showing that you're insightful and think things through, rather than being honest by coming across as unprepared..

I said psych or neuro because I've always been interested in behavioral sciences along with mental health issues. My background & work/school experiences back me up pretty well, so as a whole I think it just gave my app an "angle" or a focus. Anyway, I think having some kind of cohesive answer probably is better than not having one. Otoh, if you honestly don't have a clue, I wouldn't advise making something up either. But I agree I think it does show a certain amount of "confidence and commitment"... if nothing else, it shows you've THOUGHT about it, done your research and have experiences in the field, which have contributed to your interest.

Also, I would say it never hurts to be interested in primary care... :rolleyes: