SECTION BANK B/C Q17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neplina94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A single point mutation in a gene results in a nonfunctional protein. Individuals heterozygous for this mutation were identified using a Southern blot. Which pair of WT and mutant alleles most likely contains the mutation?

A) WT: 5-TAGTCGAAGCTTAGGCATCT-3
Mt: 5-TAGTCGATGCTTAGGCATCT-3

B) WT: 5-TAGTCGAAGCTTAGGCATCT-3
Mt: 5-TAGTTGAAGCTTAGGCATCT-3

Ans is A. Heres the rationale, "a southen blot uses a restriction digest to differentiate between mutant and WT alleles. In order of a souther blot to be useful, the mutation should either create or eliminate a restriction site, most of which are palindromes and 4-6 bp long. The mutation shown in this option is the only one that disrupts a palindromic sequence, AAGCTT."

I kind of understand but im a bit confused as well. What is the easiest way to go about solving this? Do i scan through every single strand looking to see if there is a 4-6 bp that is complementary? Thats what I understand a palindrome to be from this explanation. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.