Sedation for Invasive Pain Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aether2000

algosdoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sedation is a thorny issue on which there is no agreement among a broad range of practitioners. I typically use heavy sedation, practically general anesthesia, on 99% of my patients due to the relatively low cost of bolus propofol and the proven relatively high safety factor of anesthesia administration. ISIS Guidelines consider sedation to be unnecessary for any procedure. So as usual, the more common practice lies between these extremes. At the last ISIS course ( I am an instructor), we polled the ISIS participants and found nearly all used some sedation and half have chosen light sedation, half very heavy but brief sedation. All agreed that getting into "no mans land" with moderate sedation and a disinhibited mobile patient is contraindicated. The degree of sedation offered typically depends on several factors:
1. Background training as an anesthesiologist vs. neurologist vs PM&R
2. Privileges of th injectionis for general anesthesia if administered in a hospital or ASC (JCAHO standards do not preclude an anesthesiologist performing and injection from also administering propofol or a general anesthetic). Some ASCs and hospitals require the presence of a separate anesthesiologist for the use of propofol.
3. Pain management training background...some programs use virtually no sedation
4. Patient population....a chronic pain population with difficulty assuming the prone position and with hypersensitized skin and muscles perceives light sedation or no sedation as completely ineffective and perceive the procedure as torture. This is quite contrary to an acute pain situation such as with acute disc herniation in which there is no allodynia or hyperpathia. The latter tolerate procedures without sedation much better.
5. Denial of the injectionist as to what is tolerated. The patient's perception is the only one that matters. Often physicians believe any patient who is able to lie still enough to have long needles stuck into the spine tolerated the procedure well without anesthesia when from the patient's perspective, nothing could be further from the truth. The physician is in denial, doesn't really want to know or care about how the patient perceives the injection, and is more interested in rapid turnover rates than providing adequate analgesia for these procedures, some of which are intensely painful. I have had many many patients that received injections from other physicians (non-discogram injections) that were perceived as torture, and the patient swore "never again". But when offered sedation, they not only accepted but commented on how astonished they were that no pain was involved with the injection and they would not at all remind repeating the injections in the future.
6. Finances. Sometimes the sedation of patients requires additional staff for monitoring post injection or to prepare patients and the physician determines in the office setting, it is not worth providing sedation. In an ASC, sedation with versed/fentanyl when given in heavy doses can cause protracted recovery area visits and nausea, thereby gumming up the works of the ASC. Also turnover may be slower, and titrating to effect may require 5 minutes. All these factors slow down the physician's progress and ultimately cost him money in the inability to schedule as many patients.
7. Experience and techniques. Use of blunt needles may significantly reduce the risk of sharp needle nerve injury since the nerves cannot be pithed or transected by blunt needles. Use of "danger view" fluoroscopic images during needle advancement, experience of the physician in needle placement, etc. all permits the use of general anesthesia or deep sedation without any demonstrated increased risk. It is widely and incorrectly assumed that general anesthesia increases the risk of procedure performance but other than a few case reports of disasters which were due to incompetence rather than the general anesthetic, there are no studies supporting the any enhanced safety through the use of no sedation or light sedation for procedures.
8. Time of procedure, number of needle sticks (eg. performing a 3 level bilateral medial branch nerve block vs performing a trochanteric bursa injection, size of needles used, etc. may all influence the degree of sedation necessary.
9. Equipment availability. No patient should be given sedation without the ability to fully resuscitate a patient including use of an ACD or defibrillator, appropriate monitoring, oxygen, suction, intubation equipment, etc.
10. Airway and anesthesia risks. If these are elevated, then it is prudent to have an anesthesiologist provide any heavy sedation/general anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think of using Ketamine as an adjunct for sedation?

I have found IV ketamine used in small doses after the administration of propofol is very effective. When combined with Versed, the effect of the combination of drugs appears to be too long lasting. Anybody else?

Members don't see this ad :)
The combination of these two (versed + propofol) seems to have synergistic effect in causing respiratory suppression. I find that you need less of propofol then usual to almost "knock them out" - not good if I want to get them out of the office ASAP. :scared:

I agree...we have found using pure propofol without a narcotic is very effective and reduces the respiratory depression significantly. Opiate narcotics combined with propofol (even with opiates in low doses) can cause severe respiratory depression.
Versed and propofol appear to act synergistically to produce respiratory depression.

In the setting of a cervical or lumbar transforaminal injection, how do you asses the patient after the lidocaine test dose advocated by the ISIS guidelines if they are heavily sedated?

It is in this realm I differ greatly with ISIS. The "test block" can in fact cause numbness and motor weakness which is indistinguishable from nerve root injury or other neurological disaster. I want to know as soon as possible if there is such neurological damage so the appropriate treatment (time dependent) and diagnostics can be initiated. Therefore, if one is to use heavy sedation, it is prudent to alter the technique accordingly. I use no local anesthetic in any block or injection in the spinal canal whether interlaminar, caudal, or transforaminal.
Many patients who elsewhere received local anesthetics in the spinal canal subsequently required being physically lifted from their car, dragged their foot for 6 hours, fell and fractured bones etc. Real time contrast injections are a much more reliable test of needle location in my hands.

What everyone will agree on with respect to sedation is to avoid "no mans land" in which the patient is overly disinhibited, thrashes about, attempts to raise up off the table being supported by their elbows, etc.
The disagreement lies in the realm of whether deep sedation increases the risk of neurological injury. The literature does not support such a contention as there are cases of neurological injury in patients with no sedation, moderate sedation, and deep sedation. There has not been statistically enough cases in each anesthetic class to develop any consensus regarding deep sedation risk relative to other states of sedation.