Seeking advice for application improvement for 3rd cycle if waitlists don't work out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on 2 waitlists (one MD and one DO), but I am planning for a third application cycle if these waitlists do not work out. My first application cycle yielded two MD interviews and one waitlist that ended in rejection. My school list was around 20 schools in total, mostly in the Southeast.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.23
BCPM GPA: 3.11
MCAT: 511 (128/130/124/129)
ORM
3400 hours as a medical assistant in a nephrology office
1000 hours working as a laboratory assistant in an infectious disease testing lab
1 abstract poster presentation at American Society of Nephrology's kidney week
50 hours shadowing
40 hours volunteering in a hospital in the progressive care unit
Other extracirriculars such as Orientation Leader, musician, club sports

I don’t feel comfortable applying a third consecutive year, so the current plan is to apply during the 2021-2022 cycle.

My MCAT was in May 2018 so I will need to retake. Obviously my GPA is a weak point so I am wondering if an SMP would be a good option for me. 1 year SMP followed immediately by an MCAT retake to apply next year.

Is this a good plan or should I be focusing my time elsewhere?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that’s a good plan. Your GPA is obviously your weakest point. To do list:
  • Get a stellar GPA to show you can handle academics in medical school
  • Knock that Mcat out of the park - since you’re taking it twice aim to improve by at least two points
  • Get more non clinical volunteering in underserved communities

Reactions: 1 user
I think that’s a good plan. Your GPA is obviously your weakest point. To do list:
  • Get a stellar GPA to show you can handle academics in medical school
  • Knock that Mcat out of the park - since you’re taking it twice aim to improve by at least two points
  • Get more non clinical volunteering in underserved communities

thanks, crossroad! I am planning on an SMP and an MCAT retake immediately after. I think I can also work on my volunteering either during the SMP or in the year after while I am applying. Thanks for your input!

Agreed- right now, an SMP is the best thing you can do for your application. With your MCAT score, you should have a good shot at getting in a good one.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors