Seeking advice on improving application for next year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahandzel5180

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, as the cycle is coming close to an end, I thought I would take the time to go through my statistics and experiences in order to be a more competitive applicant in the future. I only have one last school to hear from, and I really don't think I will get in due to a few particular concerns with my application that appear as a hole/gap. I know that there is still a chance, but I'd like to start improving early if I can. To start things off, I wanted to first share my basic statistics in the usual format to any current DPT students or applicants who have been successful this cycle. This will be a bit of a longer post so that I can also include as much detail as I can!

University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.70 from PTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65-3.75 depending on the school. Most are above a 3.70+
GRE: V-149 / Q-146 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: Employment with Kohl's (2,200+ hours), Seasonal employment at Meijer (280 hours), BLS Provider Certification, Adult and Pediatric First Aid / CPR / AED Certification. I also have 400-500+ hours working as a rehabilitation aide, but it wanted me to include experiences non-pt related here.
Volunteer: N/A
Hours: 600+ hours from both shadowing and working at an outpatient orthopedic setting (400-500+ are from working, 170 are from shadowing), 17 hours at a pediatric setting, 25 hours at an aquatic therapy setting, 17 hours at a private outpatient orthopedic setting, and 18 hours at a skilled nursing facility.
LORs: 1 from a PT who I've shadowed and currently work with, 1 from a PT who is also the assistant facility manager where I work, and 1 from a professor at NIU who is the anatomy lab director.
Acceptances: N/A
Applied: NIU, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and Carroll University
Waitlist: NIU (low on ranked waitlist and class is full)
Rejections: UIC, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Midwestern-Downers Grove, NIU, and Rosalind Franklin

So to start things off, I believe my GPA and grades in prerequisites are where they should be and don't need much improvements. I have never retaken any sort of class either. Actually, what pretty much has lowered my pGPA is that I received a B in both General Chemistry I and II and were both 5 credits each and hit hard. All other common prerequisites are mainly A's and very few A-'s. Is it recommended to improve the grades in these two courses, even with my GPA?

Next, I believe this is the crucial part to my application and may be a reason why schools either rejected or waitlisted me. With a crazy final semester last year in the spring, along with shadowing at several different clinics to diversify my experiences in the summer, I had only 3-4 weeks to prepare for the GRE since some deadlines were in October 1st and only take exam dates up to a certain day. I felt rushed as a result, so I didn't do well as I had hoped! I was going for at least a 151 in both sections, but didn't meet that goal. I was happy with the writing score, but I know that these are below average and definitely want to improve this score again. Depending on the school, do most usually weigh the GRE just as heavily with the GPA, even if it is high? I have seen applicants with similar scores get in somewhere, but they had other aspects of their application that likely helped which I will get into later next on this post.

Apart from the GRE, what I think is even the biggest hole in my application is the lack of any extracurriculars and volunteering outside of PT. I had to spend a lot of time studying on weekdays being a full-time student and worked practically all day on the weekends for pretty much every semester. I also commuted to my university. As a result, I was not able to dedicate much time into doing any sort of volunteering or participate in any clubs. I know now from rejections and looking at schools, that they value these a LOT since applications are looked at holistically. From current DPT students or successful applicants, what recommendations do you have that would be relevant and make me at least equal with other applicants to make myself more competitive? Since I haven't ever really volunteered or participated in these kinds of things, I'm clueless with where to start! I thought about volunteering in a hospital in the past, but are there better options? One thing I thought about adding, but just didn't know how to add it on is that I am a macro photographer. I've been doing it for two years and also sell prints with them through a website, as well as communicating and getting to know others throughout the world. It's mainly one of my biggest hobbies, but I have no idea how to really include this on PTCAS or if I should. Any suggestions?

I recently contacted Rosalind Franklin University in particular, and they basically suggested to me that retaking the GRE, additional healthcare experiences, volunteering in underserved populations and research would help me out the greatest and pretty much confirms with what I need to improve on, at least with their school. As far as research goes, I saw that a local community college offers a cadaver dissection lab with the consent of the instructor where you can present your findings to the professor and classmates. Would this even count as research experience at all, or is it mainly just a class to get a grade in? I'm planning on asking this to help clarify this question too.

With LOR's, I feel that my assistant manager and physical therapist were helpful. However, I plan on changing the professor, since he doesn't know me as well due to his huge class size and think that one of my current professors would be more helpful, since I talk to her very frequently. Although I have three, I was also planning on asking one additional physical therapist that I very frequently work with as a rehabilitation aide for a LOR since she would be able to comment very well on how I work and interact with patients. Would having an extra one be of any use, even though my assistant manager can already comment on work experience? I never work the same hours as her, so she hardly gets to see much interaction but hears about it.

I also would like to apply to more schools in the future. I thought 5 would be enough, which were primarily ones close to home. I want to apply to additional schools that are out of state, but many of them require interviews, and I don't really have any money to book flights to so many either. There were some that even require a certain prerequisite that is mainly offered in that school and not anywhere close by, which makes it more troublesome for me to do. Are there any recommendations for schools out there worth applying to that could be considered out of state for me (I live in Illinois) at all based on my stats and any future experiences I decide to do?

One last thing (I promise) I have thought about is whether or not it has to do with my interviewing in any way. I have a feel for what to say for many of the common PT questions, but wonder whether interviewers thought of something in particular that they didn't like, such as communication or way of speaking. Having English as my second language learned, I find myself sometimes pausing in between sentences in normal conversations and is just how my brain works and try to avoid this. Specifically, my first language is Polish, and I normally talk fast sometimes as a result and think that because of this, I make these pauses. Do interviewers see this as being bad in terms of communication? I've worked with many patients and haven't had anyone tell me in particular that have had a hard time understanding me in any way. It happens even if I plan out my thoughts in my head. Other than that, could it even just be the GRE and lack of extracurriculars/volunteering even after an interview? Schools won't specify to me whether it was due to my interview and really emphasize certain aspects like what Rosalind mentioned.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm really determined and motivated to get in somewhere, and it's disheartening to me to have been rejected from so many schools already with my stats. I know that it is a competitive process and several students are in the same position as me. I'm currently in my gap year as well but am willing to definitely make improvements for a more successful cycle. Thanks for taking the time to read, and please leave any suggestions you have for me or would like to clarify anything more in detail or that I did not include!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't call myself the most successful applicant out there since I was waitlisted at my top choices before being accepted , but I will offer my two cents. Hope it helps!

Like you said, you're GPA and academics seem amazing and I would'nt worry too much about changing those. That's a very high cGPA and equally high pGPA.

I think you're GRE score could use a little bit of help, namely the Verbal portion since that is what schools weight more from what I've heard. Most schools have a minumum of 150 in both V and Q and a minumun of 4 in writing. For some schools, that's a hard requirment and they wont even look at the application if the numbers are below 150. One school I applied to said that was a suggestion and you should get close to that to be competitive but being much about 150 in each make you even stronger. I'm pretty sure GPA is the most important, and GRE being the second most important factor so I would spend more time studying for that. Based on your GPAs, I sense you are a smart student and can proabbly get about 150 if you spend some more time studying and not rushed like last time. Some schools don't require the GRE so some of the people on this forum might've gotten in with lower scores, but like you said aiming for above 150 is ideal.

In terms of volunteering, you mentioned some things that would be great to start. I would suggest getting a good mix of healthcare and non-healthcare volunteering. For example, I volunteered every week at a childrens hopsital and spent all my time directly interacting with the children and families, but I also had experience in a non-healthcare setting volunteering with the elderly at a nursing home and teaching underrepresented kids how to cook healthy food. Contact large organizations that offer volunteering ops, even if it's only a few hours a week. I also did research at the childrens hospital and the next year at a neuroscience lab on campus. Try contacting your professors who do research and see if they know any academic labs that are hiring. I don't think the example you mentioned would count as research since it's a part of a class. Typically, research is done in a lab in collaboration with professors and grad students. I think research is something that is not super common among applicants so that would make you stand out a lot.

Your stats look pretty good. I'd take a hard look at your essay in addition to retaking the GRE. Another thing is to add everything to your extracurriculars- if you take hobby photos, add it... anything you do can be painted in a positive light. Start saying yes to things and find out what interests you in terms of volunteering. Something might sound terrible but then turn out to be a lot of fun, and you'll have only lost a night of Netflix to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was in the same boat you are in when I applied for the first time. I also live in Illinois and applied two years ago to Rosalind, Midwestern, UIC, and Northwestern. At the time, my GPAs were a little lower than what yours is and I had around the same GRE score as you. I was rejected from all 4 with no interview offers. This cycle I applied to 9 schools and had 5 interviews- ended up with 1 acceptance and am on 4 waitlists. I would recommend not limiting yourself to just schools in Illinois. You don't necessarily have to look for schools where you'd have to buy a plane ticket but maybe look at the surrounding states and places you'd be able to drive to for interviews.

I recommend retaking the GRE and taking the time to practice for it. My score didn't improve drastically, but it still improved. I think it is worth retaking to show you are at least trying to do what you can to improve. I also think another important aspect of the application is your experiences. Volunteering looks great even if it is not the most pt related. I spent time volunteering in a nursing home playing games and doing art projects with the residence. Not super pt related, but it was something I enjoyed and shows that I have experience working with that population.

I also would recommend getting as much experience as you can shadowing/working with physical therapists. Observe or work in as many different settings as you can. I think working as a rehab tech is what helped me the most. I worked as a tech in two different clinics. One was a very large clinic that had therapists who specialized in all sorts of different things and has OTs and athletic trainers as well. The other clinic is smaller and I helped with managing the front desk. Both of these have given me completely different experiences and I have been able to learn so much about the profession. It has also helped with my patient communication skills and gave me experiences I could bring up during interviews.

Lastly, use your essays to showcase yourself! Especially for schools that do not interview, they are judging your application off of your stats and essays. Use it to highlight important experiences and personality traits that show you would make a good pt. If you reapply to some of the same programs, you'll be asked to write essays on what you have done since the last time you applied so it is important to use the time you have now and gather new experiences. Don't give up and use the next year to do whatever you can to make your application stronger/stand out!

I am not familiar with the schools you applied to, but your stats sounds very competitive. You probably will get in without any problem to schools that do not require GRE without improving anything. If you still want to apply to schools that require GRE, see if you increase V and Q up to at least 150 which is most schools requirements. 150 is still probably not enough to get accepted to highly competitive state school that accept only 30-ish people.
Are you sure your recommendation letters and evaluations on PTCAS are good? I found out (a school told me although they were not supposed to) one of PT recommendation letters and feedback about me was pretty poorly written and she gave me "average" grades when evaluating me on PTCAS, So I asked recommendation letters from other PTs at the next cycle.
Ask the schools that rejected you to review your application and listen to their suggestions on what you should improve.
Do not worry about extracurriculars and volunteering outside of PT!!! You do not need any of that! I had zero extracurriculars and volunteering outside of PT and all the stats lower than yours and got accepted to 3 schools. My essay was also pretty plain and I do not think I stood out with it. Just do not write anything extreme in it. You have observation hours in so many different settings! Most people have 2-3 settings max.
I believe you did not get accepted anywhere this year only because you picked the schools that are out of your league at this point. It is not the question of how many schools you applied to, but rather which schools are appropriate for your stats. Again, the only flaw of your application is GRE score. So pick the schools that do not require it. Look/ask schools for the stats of students who got accepted last year and compare their stats with yours. There are schools whose average students have stats lower than yours!
I am 99.999999% sure you will get in next year! :) Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone for contributing to this thread and providing me with extremely helpful advice, which I have read in its entirety. As an update and just when I thought I would be re-applying for next year, I finally heard back from Carroll University today with an acceptance! So happy for this moment, I guess I can call it a miracle, since I was not expecting this at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much everyone for contributing to this thread and providing me with extremely helpful advice, which I have read in its entirety. As an update and just when I thought I would be re-applying for next year, I finally heard back from Carroll University today with an acceptance! So happy for this moment, I guess I can call it a miracle, since I was not expecting this at all.
This is amazing news!! So happy for you! This should help us all keep hope alive it's not over yet still time to get accepted! Thank you for the update and hope!!

Reactions: 1 user
This is amazing news!! So happy for you! This should help us all keep hope alive it's not over yet still time to get accepted! Thank you for the update and hope!!
Thank you so much! I hope you get an offer as well somewhere. For anyone in a similar situation to me, I hope this thread was in anyway helpful and motivating in some way!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Told you your stats are competitive :), no miracles, you earn it!

Congrats! Told you your stats are competitive :), no miracles, you earn it!
Thank you! You are definitely correct, likely the previous schools just happened to be out of my league as mentioned.