seeking advice on scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southsidesfinest

Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to handful of MD schools, however, none have given me any type of scholarships. Should I be applying for outside scholarships? Is it worth it? do people actually get scholarships from sites like fastweb and others? Does anyone have advice on getting scholarships to pay for medical school? should I just relax and take on loans?

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply for outside scholarships but by and large, they do tend to be lottery tickets and the odds are quite low of receiving one. The vast majority of students will take out loans (also consider that most scholarships you get will probably range from 5-10k at most which for most students won't even cover 20% of their tuition of a single year). Gone are the days where you could get 2 years worth of money from a single app for the most part.

Not saying this to dissuade you from searching for scholarships and technically every dollar does count. But just wanted to point out that it may not even be worth the time writing essays and filling out apps for possibly nothing or a negligible amount when you could be doing other things you enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users