Medical Seeking advice on using AP biology to replace college introductory biology classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
My daughter just started her sophomore year in college, and wants to go to medical school after college. My question is regarding whether it is a bad idea to use high school AP biology to replace introductory biology classes for medical school admissions.

My specific questions:

(1) Does a Genetics class need a lot of knowledge from the biology classes? Is high school AP biology sufficient?

(2) She will also need to take Biochemistry classes in junior year. Do Biochemistry classes need solid knowledge from the introductory biology classes?

(3) Will skipping the college-level introductory biology classes make the MCAT more difficult for her?

(4) Will skipping the college-level introductory biology classes make her a weaker candidate for medical school admissions?

(5) If she ends up not taking introductory biology classes and uses high school AP classes for medical school admissions, will medical school admissions convert an AP biology score of "4" into a weak grade (e.g., a B)?

Thank you very much!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I feel in general it would be better to take the college level intro Biology before moving on to genetics. The points you bring up are all valid.

This table should prove very helpful:

While many schools accept AP credit for Biology, a decent number either do not, or take it under a case by case basis.

In the end, she could get away with not taking it since some schools exist which take AP and do not need lab with it. However, if she takes the sequence with labs, she is not limiting herself to where she can apply.

I don't know what high school your child attended and how well they prepared students for college.

If we're talking about taking any AP bio HS courses during the C-19 pandemic (the experience was virtual), I would more encourage your child to take the real class and labs.

Members don't see this ad :)
(1) You don't need intro for Genetics as that course is kinda on its own. However, my advice is to retake the intro so she will have a stronger base for the MCAT.

(2) Same as answer 1

(3) Yes

(4) Not sure, prolly not but the MCAT is important

(5) No idea

My question is: does a “repeated” annotation for the introductory biology classes on her college transcript negatively affect her medical school admission (when it is repeated for a high school AP biology, not for repeating the same college biology classes)?
no

Status
Not open for further replies.