Seeking advice! Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaFC4eva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

So I am currently a junior in undergrad right now. I plan on applying to medical school this upcoming summer. I am really worried about my GPA right now though...as of now I stand at a 3.44 with another semester to go before I apply. At best I calculated my GPA to be around 3.55 by the time I apply. I have taken the MCAT and scored a 31 but am re-taking this June with. I'm targeting a 33-35 at least if not higher. I just want to know where I stand at this point and how I can make my application stronger because I know my GPA is something that will hold me back compared to other applicants. Right now, I am researching in a lab and should be able to get at least 3 hundred plus hours by the end of the year. I am also be volunteering at the local hospital. I have held some leadership positions in the past but dropped them this year to really focus on school. I know for sure that I really have to nail this upcoming MCAT but what else should I be working on to make my application the most competitive it can be before I plan on applying? Right now, I am targeting many of the Chicagoland schools since I am an Illinois resident.

Rosalind Franklin and SIU are probably my main targets with Rush, UIC, and Loyola being goals and NU and UofC being dreams...I also am thinking of applying to some ohio, wisconsin, and michigan schools since they are relatively closeby. Also, if you guys have any suggestions for schools that would best fit my application that would be appreciated as well! Thank you so so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Low-mid tier schools (add NYMC to your list), and don't retake the MCAT. A 31 is fine and I'm worried that your schore is more likley to go DOWN, rather than up.

Your state schools might give you some love; also I've seen people here get into the state schools around IN/KY/TN with mid-3's GPAs, so do your research and target those that will be most amenable to you. Forget about U Chicago...too competetive.

You're fine for any DO program as well.

Hey All!

So I am currently a junior in undergrad right now. I plan on applying to medical school this upcoming summer. I am really worried about my GPA right now though...as of now I stand at a 3.44 with another semester to go before I apply. At best I calculated my GPA to be around 3.55 by the time I apply. I have taken the MCAT and scored a 31 but am re-taking this June with. I'm targeting a 33-35 at least if not higher. I just want to know where I stand at this point and how I can make my application stronger because I know my GPA is something that will hold me back compared to other applicants. Right now, I am researching in a lab and should be able to get at least 3 hundred plus hours by the end of the year. I am also be volunteering at the local hospital. I have held some leadership positions in the past but dropped them this year to really focus on school. I know for sure that I really have to nail this upcoming MCAT but what else should I be working on to make my application the most competitive it can be before I plan on applying? Right now, I am targeting many of the Chicagoland schools since I am an Illinois resident.

Rosalind Franklin and SIU are probably my main targets with Rush, UIC, and Loyola being goals and NU and UofC being dreams...I also am thinking of applying to some ohio, wisconsin, and michigan schools since they are relatively closeby. Also, if you guys have any suggestions for schools that would best fit my application that would be appreciated as well! Thank you so so much :)

Hey All!

Unless you are 99% confident you can get 36, 37+...do NOT RETAKE a 31! Only on SDN is that a bad score, in the real world you're a genius to get a 31 (okay, maybe an exaggeration). Might have to cross Harvard off of your list, but you will likely get accepted somewhere as long as your school list is well-balanced and as long as their aren't gaping holes in your application such as 0 clinical experience. Exhaust your energy improving your application in other ways (volunteer, do something meaningful to yourself or others, etc.)