Seeking advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacromwe

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a truly awful freshman year with a GPA of 1.7 I'll be graduating this May with a oGPA of ~3.01 and a sGPA of ~2.95. Took the DAT a week ago and just wanted to know any chances of applying this cycle. I'm a resident of NY btw, but attend school in Ohio. Also wondering if I should retake the DAT, and was considering LECOM's dental post bacc. I will appreciate any advice possible, thanks!

DAT breakdown: AA 20 / TS 20 / Bio 20 / GChem 21 / OChem 20 / RC 21 / QR 18/ PAT 19

>50 hours shadowing
>50 hours volunteering
3 years of a varsity sport as well, not sure if that makes any positive difference

Members don't see this ad.

After a truly awful freshman year with a GPA of 1.7 I'll be graduating this May with a oGPA of ~3.01 and a sGPA of ~2.95. Took the DAT a week ago and just wanted to know any chances of applying this cycle. I'm a resident of NY btw, but attend school in Ohio. Also wondering if I should retake the DAT, and was considering LECOM's dental post bacc. I will appreciate any advice possible, thanks!

DAT breakdown: AA 20 / TS 20 / Bio 20 / GChem 21 / OChem 20 / RC 21 / QR 18/ PAT 19

>50 hours shadowing
>50 hours volunteering
3 years of a varsity sport as well, not sure if that makes any positive difference
1. Bump up your GPA
2. Volunteer/Shadow more

That's pretty much all you can really do since your DAT is decent. If you can't raise your GPA enough, retake the DAT to 23+ (as generic as that sounds).

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply and apply liberally. Start a postbacc immediately just in case because it'll help your app that you indicate you are doing one WHILE applying. Otherwise, if you don't land anything, you will have "wasted" a year and starting the postbacc later.

Awesome upward trend though!

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply and apply liberally. Start a postbacc immediately just in case because it'll help your app that you indicate you are doing one WHILE applying. Otherwise, if you don't land anything, you will have "wasted" a year and starting the postbacc later.

Awesome upward trend though!

Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any post backs that start that early?

Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any post backs that start that early?

I'm not really familiar with many of the established postbacc programs, but you can search online for Temple, Rutgers, Barry, Lecom (this one is new), and NSU. I think there may be more but all I can think of right now.

Apply broadly, but dont be overly optimistic. Continue to improve your application just in case you don't get in. But you should get into a private school.

>50 hours shadowing
>50 hours volunteering

You need to get your sGPA above a 3.0. Realistically you'll probably need a masters and a stronger DAT because of your low GPA.