Seeking advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABM17e

Reaction score
Hello all.

Brief backstory. I am a 30 y/o nontrad. Married w/ 2 young kids. Army veteran. Sole breadwinner. Two job holder. Graduated bachelor's in Bio fall '19 with nearly enough credits on my transcript for 2 degrees spanning nearly 10 years. Post grad diagnosis of pretty severe ADD. Not a good/ could have been better GPA (see previous two points). >18k hours of paid clinical experience spanning a decade. ~200 hours of volunteer clinical experience.

I've essentially had 2 or more concurrent jobs the entire time I've been in school plus my undiagnosed ADD along with probably some other learning disabilities (but I can't afford the $500 for further evaluation). I mention this purely for backstory and not for sympathy points.

I just got my MCAT score the other day. I bombed CARS after a rough CP. 124/122/126/127. Ended up with a 499. I'm currently planning my study attack to retake in January.

My GPA is sub par. My experience is my strong suit. With my MCAT my chances to get admitted in 2021 have seriously decreased. I really needed a decent MCAT. ~3.0 with 2 F's from 2009.

I am still going to submit for 2021 but now I am only going to submit for my alma mater for MD and still to the DO schools on my list.

I am seeking advice as to what to do next.

I am an EMTB and I am thinking about going to paramedic school in the mean time as a contingency in case I don't get in this cycle. The application deadline for the program is less than 10 days away.

I sought advice from one of my closest Army friends. He is currently a third year DO with a very similar backstory as me, similar GPA, married, 2 kids the whole deal. He only took the MCAT once ~506. His advice was to seek a graduate certificate or degree in the mean time. He said that my experience is already there and that adding paramedic won't really add anything of value to the adcoms. He said it could even hurt me as it could look like a step backwards. They would want to see my working towards higher education and stepping back to a technical program wouldn't do that.

Though I understand and agree with his reasoning, my reasoning for paramedic is primarily financial. I can honestly barely support my family working both of my jobs. We are very thankful that our housing situation can not get any better. If we had a traditional rental agreement we wouldn't survive.

Locally paramedic school is 3 terms. I could start in January for spring, summer and, fall.

Since my chances this cycle have somewhat dwindled, I'd be able to complete paramedic school and work as a paramedic 6 months or so before I started med school if I get in next cycle. Or more if it takes me past next cycle.

My buddy said essentially one can only play the sympathy card so far and there's a point where playing my tiny violin for adcoms will begin to hurt me. Side note: my buddy is one of my closest most respected friends, he's not gonna sugar coat anything for me and I'm thankful for that.

I've been surviving, though barely getting by, but not going to paramedic school is also a viable option. Life would just become easier with paramedic pay as I continue to try to get into medical school.

I'm not seeking sympathy just realistic and insightful advice. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Of course if my long shot and late 2021, singular MD and handful of DO school apps gets me just one acceptance, then I'd be willing to drop out of paramedic school on the spot lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all.

Brief backstory. I am a 30 y/o nontrad. Married w/ 2 young kids. Army veteran. Sole breadwinner. Two job holder. Graduated bachelor's in Bio fall '19 with nearly enough credits on my transcript for 2 degrees spanning nearly 10 years. Post grad diagnosis of pretty severe ADD. Not a good/ could have been better GPA (see previous two points). >18k hours of paid clinical experience spanning a decade. ~200 hours of volunteer clinical experience.

I've essentially had 2 or more concurrent jobs the entire time I've been in school plus my undiagnosed ADD along with probably some other learning disabilities (but I can't afford the $500 for further evaluation). I mention this purely for backstory and not for sympathy points.

I just got my MCAT score the other day. I bombed CARS after a rough CP. 124/122/126/127. Ended up with a 499. I'm currently planning my study attack to retake in January.

My GPA is sub par. My experience is my strong suit. With my MCAT my chances to get admitted in 2021 have seriously decreased. I really needed a decent MCAT. ~3.0 with 2 F's from 2009.

I am still going to submit for 2021 but now I am only going to submit for my alma mater for MD and still to the DO schools on my list.

I am seeking advice as to what to do next.

I am an EMTB and I am thinking about going to paramedic school in the mean time as a contingency in case I don't get in this cycle. The application deadline for the program is less than 10 days away.

I sought advice from one of my closest Army friends. He is currently a third year DO with a very similar backstory as me, similar GPA, married, 2 kids the whole deal. He only took the MCAT once ~506. His advice was to seek a graduate certificate or degree in the mean time. He said that my experience is already there and that adding paramedic won't really add anything of value to the adcoms. He said it could even hurt me as it could look like a step backwards. They would want to see my working towards higher education and stepping back to a technical program wouldn't do that.

Though I understand and agree with his reasoning, my reasoning for paramedic is primarily financial. I can honestly barely support my family working both of my jobs. We are very thankful that our housing situation can not get any better. If we had a traditional rental agreement we wouldn't survive.

Locally paramedic school is 3 terms. I could start in January for spring, summer and, fall.

Since my chances this cycle have somewhat dwindled, I'd be able to complete paramedic school and work as a paramedic 6 months or so before I started med school if I get in next cycle. Or more if it takes me past next cycle.

My buddy said essentially one can only play the sympathy card so far and there's a point where playing my tiny violin for adcoms will begin to hurt me. Side note: my buddy is one of my closest most respected friends, he's not gonna sugar coat anything for me and I'm thankful for that.

I've been surviving, though barely getting by, but not going to paramedic school is also a viable option. Life would just become easier with paramedic pay as I continue to try to get into medical school.

I'm not seeking sympathy just realistic and insightful advice. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Of course if my long shot and late 2021, singular MD and handful of DO school apps gets me just one acceptance, then I'd be willing to drop out of paramedic school on the spot lol.
I'm happy to help, espcially for a veteran, but the wall of text make sit difficult to see what you're actually asking.

So, can you just ask your questions?
What are your GPAs? Have you taken MCAT? State of residence? Have you finished your schooling?

What is your GPA breakdown? Is there a significant upward trend and you say your GPA is ~3.0. Is it above a 3.0? I know there are some DO schools with a 3.0 screen.

If you have a significant upward trend and your cGPA is above a 3.0 I think you have a chance this cycle. Your best chance is probably at a newer DO school. I'm not sure you'll have any luck at your state MD school with a 499 and a 3.0. I would probably do a retake when you're confident you can score a few points higher on the MCAT, like maybe 505+

Also, I don't think becoming a paramedic will hurt your app, and maybe it's a good backup plan?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That $500 evaluation could change your earning potential from $25/hr to $100/hr for the rest of your life. Furthermore, even if you don't have health insurance, a psych eval shouldn't cost more than $100-$300 (as someone who may or may not have been getting one every 6 months for a while in a high cost-of-living state and area). Please take care of your mental health; it will pay dividends for you and your family. I know this from experience. If I were you, I would take everything I was planning on spending on the MCAT retake and applications this year and reallocate it for the psychiatrist. Then you'll be able to take the MCAT later under more optimal conditions.

Goro, my primary question is whether or not it would be wise to go to paramedic school now as a contingency in case I don't get in this cycle. Secondary questions involve my current cycle chances. I graduated with my degree this last December. I took the MCAT 8/14. My score was 499 (124/122/126/127). I am a Florida resident. My Cumulative GPA is 2.920, my AMCAS sGPA (Including Math) is only 2.881, my AACOMAS sGPA (excluding math) is 3.024.

Swimwreck, my Cumulative GPA is 2.920, my AMCAS sGPA (Including Math) is only 2.881, my AACOMAS sGPA (excluding math) is 3.024. I realize that my GPA is a major wall that medical schools must scale in order to extend an offer of acceptance to me. My alma mater would likely screen out my app due to my GPA alone much less including my current MCAT. I am hopeful that my veteran status might get my application a second look. If anything maybe I could be a good candidate for their bridge to MD program. I am definitely retaking the MCAT, BTW any idea when registration opens for the January test dates?

Aimtosneeze, I was able to go to a behavioral therapist for ADD/ ADHD evaluation back when I still had insurance. Currently I pay out of pocket for my monthly Adderall Rx and one out of pocket visit to my PCP once every three months to get my prescriptions. The behavioral therapist was able to test me for certain learning disabilities, but more complex disorders such as dyslexia apparently require much more extensive testing. There's only one place that I have been made aware of that does the testing here, Adult Learning Evaluation Center (ALEC) | College of Education - FSU. Only this level of testing would be sufficient if I were to seek testing accommodation. They only take the FSU student insurance (which I never had, I had private insurance through work) out of pocket the cost starts at $550. I agree with putting mental health above all else, though right now I believe that mentally and emotionally I am fine. I have diagnosed PTSD from my time in Afghanistan but I do not have any debilitating effect from it. If I were to need further help, I would always have services from the VA available to me.

Would you be willing to do a linked smp? Neither the mcat nor gpa is strong. The one thing no one wants to do more than reject a vets application is let them burn two years to fail out

• Love
Goro, my primary question is whether or not it would be wise to go to paramedic school now as a contingency in case I don't get in this cycle. Secondary questions involve my current cycle chances. I graduated with my degree this last December. I took the MCAT 8/14. My score was 499 (124/122/126/127). I am a Florida resident. My Cumulative GPA is 2.920, my AMCAS sGPA (Including Math) is only 2.881, my AACOMAS sGPA (excluding math) is 3.024.

Swimwreck, my Cumulative GPA is 2.920, my AMCAS sGPA (Including Math) is only 2.881, my AACOMAS sGPA (excluding math) is 3.024. I realize that my GPA is a major wall that medical schools must scale in order to extend an offer of acceptance to me. My alma mater would likely screen out my app due to my GPA alone much less including my current MCAT. I am hopeful that my veteran status might get my application a second look. If anything maybe I could be a good candidate for their bridge to MD program. I am definitely retaking the MCAT, BTW any idea when registration opens for the January test dates?

Aimtosneeze, I was able to go to a behavioral therapist for ADD/ ADHD evaluation back when I still had insurance. Currently I pay out of pocket for my monthly Adderall Rx and one out of pocket visit to my PCP once every three months to get my prescriptions. The behavioral therapist was able to test me for certain learning disabilities, but more complex disorders such as dyslexia apparently require much more extensive testing. There's only one place that I have been made aware of that does the testing here, Adult Learning Evaluation Center (ALEC) | College of Education - FSU. Only this level of testing would be sufficient if I were to seek testing accommodation. They only take the FSU student insurance (which I never had, I had private insurance through work) out of pocket the cost starts at $550. I agree with putting mental health above all else, though right now I believe that mentally and emotionally I am fine. I have diagnosed PTSD from my time in Afghanistan but I do not have any debilitating effect from it. If I were to need further help, I would always have services from the VA available to me.
I suggest doing the paramed courses, and then reassess after some time working at that.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Hey fellow Army veteran here and current 4th year medical student. I had a worse MCAT score, but better GPA and got accepted my first application cycle.

Personally, I'd start calling admissions offices and see if they would even look at your application or if there is a GPA cut-off. That's really the best way to know. Newer DO schools will be more likely to take you, so that might be a good place to start. Also second the call for a graduate degree in biomedical sciences (or similar degree). Most of these programs mimic the first year of medical school and demonstrate that you're capable of meeting the academic requirements.

Would you be willing to do a linked smp? Neither the mcat nor gpa is strong. The one thing no one wants to do more than reject a vets application is let them burn two years to fail out

I would be fully willing to complete an SMP. FSU offers a master's bridge to MD that is extremely limited and enrolled by invitation only. If I were offered the opportunity to prove my ability to succeed in an SMP, I would have no issue with traveling that path. My MCAT and GPA are not strong, but my drive to become a physician has no limitations.

Hey fellow Army veteran here and current 4th year medical student. I had a worse MCAT score, but better GPA and got accepted my first application cycle.

Personally, I'd start calling admissions offices and see if they would even look at your application or if there is a GPA cut-off. That's really the best way to know. Newer DO schools will be more likely to take you, so that might be a good place to start. Also second the call for a graduate degree in biomedical sciences (or similar degree). Most of these programs mimic the first year of medical school and demonstrate that you're capable of meeting the academic requirements.

That's motivating for sure. I have some resources trough working at the hospital that I may be able to ask these questions, if nothing else for solid insight. I am planning to apply to several DO schools. I'll have to do more research into grad programs.

I suggest doing the paramed courses, and then reassess after some time working at that.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.
Thank you for the advice.

Just a thought...but I think with that many clinical hours, you might also consider PA school. I believe most PA programs have a 3.0 cutoff and look for the kind of experience you have. You'd also be taking the GRE rather than having to retake MCAT (I believe) and it may be possibly more suited to your testing style (shorter, more verbal-based, and considering your ADD mention and your obvious writing skills etc.). PA pays a hell of a lot more than being a paramedic does. Also considered high quality of life, especially for those with families. A friend of mine is a father of 2 and went to PA school after a long time working as a nurse and very much enjoys it.