Seeking Advice..........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congrats on the NIH award/job.

Will my age be a factor that will make Med schools reject me as an applicant?

your age probably won't matter. although the average age of matriculants is 24, you should be (almost?) 20 by matriculation which isn't too far off the age of most applicants that go straight from undergrad (21/22). you also have a significant amount of shadowing/clinical work which you can use to demonstrate that you are NOT naive about the medical field. so, full speed ahead if you want.

What can I do to improve my application?

not much stats-wise, but you are very cookie-cutter.

-Did research in Otopathology lab for 2 years (freshman and soph)- 250 hours

this caught my eye. what does "did research" mean when this averages to about 4 hrs/wk?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have anything for leadership?

For you it will be important for your application to reflect your maturity. Aside from the traditional extracurriculars, let your application reveal your diverse interests in, and dedication to, maybe sports, the arts, whatever you've been heavily involved in that you do for fun, possibly travel experiences. Be sure that you show something where you've taken responsibility. Teaching/mentoring is also good and you have that. When you volunteered in the ENT clinic, how did you interact with patients? Did your research also involve patient interaction? Be sure you specify that. Did you shadow three types of doctors? Variety is good. If you have time before you apply, consider some volunteer or paid time in a non-clinic situation: hospital, nursing home, hospice, etc.

I was young, too, when I applied, and my age was never brought up as an issue. If you present yourself well and your application speaks for you, there is no reason for your age to concern adcomms.