Seeking An Honest Opinion....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pegullaville

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I was hoping for some honest opinions, advice, or insight anyone could provide me in terms of how strong/weak my academics and experiences are towards applying to a post baccalaureate program (ie Temple, Lecom, UPenn...). I have already decided to take a gap year next year (2015-2016) to either obtain a masters degree or the preferred post bac. certificate. The goal is to be accepted into MD/DO for fall 2016.

As of now, I have already established a scenario with my current undergrad school to earn a masters degree in biology (a thesis based program which correlates to the research I will be doing at a cancer institute) in only 1 year. However, I have the option to pursue any other degrees or programs that would give me the best chance to be accepted into medical school. The masters program at my school states that over 80% of the people who successfully complete their program get accepted into the professional school that they are interested in (MD, DO, DDS, ect...). I have considered DO school, however, would prefer MD.

In sum, I am looking for an honest opinion as to what I should do to help increase my chances into being accepted into a post baccalaureate program, or what my chances would be getting into a program based off of my credentials below. I am not including the other detailed miscellaneous components such as clubs or my LORs. If you think I would have a better shot of getting into MD/DO school by obtaining a masters degree instead of a post bac, please let me know.
I need your honest opinions and advice!!!!!

ACADEMICS
Year: 4th Year Undergraduate (senior)
Major: Biological Sciences: Pre-Health Concentration
Cumulative GPA: 3.40
Science GPA: 3.24
MCAT/GRE: Not taken

EXPERIENCE
Direct Patient Care: 3 years (as a patient care technician, still accumulating)
Research: Independent research project & just started at a lab within a top 50 cancer institute
Volunteer: Hospital (100+ hours), Community (500+ hours), Other (200+ hours)

I plan on cutting all hours of working and volunteering down to a minimum so I can focus solely on my spring semester classes. The goal is to finish the spring semester and take some summer classes to bring my cumulative GPA to at least a 3.50, and my science GPA to at least a 3.35.
Again, I need your honest opinion/advice as to whether I should pursue a post bac. or a masters!!!!

Thanks for the help. And please, by all means, be as brutally honest as possible-- I'm sure I can take it. If not, I hear Chipotle is expanding and looking for help, right?!

--Pegullaville
 
What is your practice mcat range?

If it's not mid 30's I would focus your year on DO retakes and come in with a killer DO gpa and a solid mcat

Your gpa is already a bit low for MD and you'll need a great mcat to have good odds