Seeking guidance in taking first steps to prepping to become a competitive applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilaclion

Reaction score
Hi! I just joined this forum upon suggestion from a friend.

I am a 22 year old 4-year college graduate. I received my Bachelor of Business Administration in May 2018 (with a double major), graduating with a 3.7 GPA.

After working in business for some months after graduation, I revisited the idea of studying to become a psychiatrist.

Having pursued an undergraduate degree in business, with no pre-med or science focus, I am feeling directionless. From what I gather via online research, before applying, I will need:
  • Strong GPA in pre-med science courses / a pre-health post-bacc program
  • Volunteer hours
  • Strong MCAT score
  • Possible research experience?
Should I be starting courses + volunteer work ASAP? Is research experience something that can heavily influence my application? Does my undergraduate degree even matter (besides providing an indication of basic competency in an academic setting), given I graduated with a business degree?

Also, what type of volunteer work looks best? Is it okay to volunteer in one position for a long time period, or do I need multiple positions? I was considering volunteering in addition to applying to become a scribe.

Given the areas in which I'm lacking as a potential applicant (essentially every area), would it even be realistic to set a goal of applying in the year 2020?

I am seeking direction, essentially, in regards to where to even begin. Feeling very overwhelmed!

Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this and respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a deep breath~

For someone like you who hasn't taken many, if any prereqs, I would definitely suggest a post-bac program that has a conditional acceptance to a med school. I don't remember any of the top of my head, but there are some if you look around. They will make you take the prereqs over a certain period of time, which is around ~2yrs.

If you perform well in those programs (i.e. 3.8sgpa) , you get at least, a guaranteed interview, and if I am correct, an acceptance at certain programs (but not too sure about this latter one).

While you do this program you could build up your volunteer/research hours by helping those underserved/in need. I think it would be better to show more commitment over a select group of activities rather than being a jack of all trades, since it shows involvement. But at the end of the day, you want to volunteer in something you care about and something that is helping those less fortunate populations.

MCAT is something you will need to prepare for once you take most/all prereqs.

So you would be looking at around 2-3yrs of hard work before you apply to med school. So trying to apply for the 2020 cycle is not realistic tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
What direction do you need? You have a business degree with a 3.7 GPA. So go do a post-bacc and get a similar GPA, volunteer and shadow a few physicians, study for and take the MCAT and you will get into a medical school. The people at SDN can't tell you how to do that.

The people that need direction are those with low GPA's, MCAT scores, and those that put food in their Tupperware containers and then get caught doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I am a 22 year old 4-year college graduate. I received my Bachelor of Business Administration in May 2018 (with a double major), graduating with a 3.7 GPA.

After working in business for some months after graduation, I revisited the idea of studying to become a psychiatrist.

Having pursued an undergraduate degree in business, with no pre-med or science focus, I am feeling directionless. From what I gather via online research, before applying, I will need:
  • Volunteer hours
  • Strong MCAT score
Should I be starting courses + volunteer work ASAP? Is research experience something that can heavily influence my application? Does my undergraduate degree even matter (besides providing an indication of basic competency in an academic setting), given I graduated with a business degree?

Also, what type of volunteer work looks best? Is it okay to volunteer in one position for a long time period, or do I need multiple positions? I was considering volunteering in addition to applying to become a scribe.

Given the areas in which I'm lacking as a potential applicant (essentially every area), would it even be realistic to set a goal of applying in the year 2020?

I am seeking direction, essentially, in regards to where to even begin. Feeling very overwhelmed!

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 2 users
I went to an ivy UG and took no premed courses. Was planning on getting PhD in clinical psych. In my first year of working in a state psych hospital, I decided i wanted to do psychiatry and not psychology bc even though the psychologists were often much better IMO, everyone listened to the psychiatrists and ignored the psychologists. (mid 1980's - different now). During med school, changed mind and went into different specialty anyway.

Even though I decided to do a post-bac almost immediately after UG, I ended up not starting med school for 5 years post undergrad. So this is a marathon, not a sprint. I did a post-bac at a place that allowed us to take night coursework, while working during the day, though some students took day courses and completed program in 15months. We then had to take at least one gap year while we applied. Bc of a husband in professional school, I ended up deferring my med school acceptance for a year after I was accepted. My advice about post-bac programs is that you have to do your research. Some just take anyone and everyone's money and do not do much to assist with application and acceptance to medical school. Others are very nurturing and have incredible success rates. Some have a high drop-out rate, so you do want to compare number of students who start post-bac with number of students who get into med school. There are some post-bac programs that offer some applicants guaranteed acceptance to med schools, but make sure to check conditions under which this will happen. Best of luck and enjoy the journey - no need to rush!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, so to answer a few of your questions.
You major will be fine. Actually it could be very useful.
I would start classes as soon as possible, preferably at a 4 year. Make sure you do well in all of them. Unlike a science major you will only have the classes you are taking post your degree so these classes will be looked at.

I think starting volunteering right away is good. You will need two types of volunteering clinical and non-clinical. You want to make sure that clinical is in a medical setting where you are seeing medical professionals, and getting to work with patients. Youre local hospital might be a good place to start but there are lots of other options with hospice, free-clinics, medical camps, etc.
Non-clinical is with those less fortunate than you, and again is something you want to have the opportunity to talk to people and help them. Some examples are running activities at a YMCA for kids, tutoring undeserved youth, soup kitchens, homeless shelter, camps for the disabled etc.
You need to do both and it does look better to have a longer commitment to something. Just make sure it is something you are passionate about.

I would also start shadowing a doctor sooner than later just to make sure this is something you absolutely want to do. Typically you want 50 shadowing hours, some in primary care. This will help you really see the profession for what it is.

Research isn't always needed but it does help, and depending on what school you would want to go to and what you want to do. However it is very interesting and something I would suggest to experience (I found it fun). However first take some science classes make sure you can do well in them, and do some volunteering of both types and shadowing. After a semester or two of that, if you can balance everything well and are still thinking this is the path for you then try out research.

2020 might be soon that's 18 months to take bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, biochemistry, physiology, physics 1 and 2, and stats as a minimum, in addition to hopefully genetics, microbiology, anatomy, and molecular biology. Then you would have to take the MCAT as well, while working on your EC's. I would think 2021 would be more realistic, but I am not you and I do not know what kind of work load you can take on. Just make sure you take the MCAT when you are ready, it hurts to retake, and do well.

Also if you havn't read this, it is super helpful Goro's guide to applying to med school (2018 version)

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

• Volunteer hours
  • Strong MCAT score

A 2020 application is not realistic. Even if you could scrape together the bare minimum by then you wouldn't be competitive in the overall pool.

The volunteering that looks best is the volunteering that is best: a consistent commitment that gives you genuine insight into both society and yourself.

Research is not necessary at all, and at this point would take time away from more useful activities without much payoff.

Depending on how much time you have, starting your pre-req classes (i.e. biology and chemistry) while getting some shadowing would be a good start. Rack up some A's and solidify your choice, then you can plot a way forward.

• Volunteer hours
  • Strong MCAT score

Don’t rush into anything. 2020 isn’t possible, but 2021 or 2022 is. Remember that after you do med school, you will have 3-10 years of formal training, so rushing to save a year doesn’t really help.

Most important is get some good exposure to medical practice, and decide if it’s for you. There are a lot of bad things happening in real world medical practice right now, and it will only get worse. May I ask why you’re changing your focus? 4 years studying business, only to change your mind after a few months, doesn’t make any sense.

Contrary to what another poster suggested, the undergrad business degree will not be an asset. At all.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I concur with other posters that applying in 2020 would be a stretch--at best. As far as your major is concerned, medical schools welcome diversity provided you have completed the necessary prereqs and can demonstrate competency in the relevant sciences. As far as volunteering and research are concerned, there is no magic formula. I would focus on what interests and inspires you, and ultimately gives you insight on what it means to be a caregiver. Your application should not be a check-box list of accomplishments; rather, it should demonstrate in-depth interests and leadership in the areas that interest you most. Good luck on this arduous but rewarding journey.

Don’t rush into anything. 2020 isn’t possible, but 2021 or 2022 is. Remember that after you do med school, you will have 3-10 years of formal training, so rushing to save a year doesn’t really help.

Most important is get some good exposure to medical practice, and decide if it’s for you. There are a lot of bad things happening in real world medical practice right now, and it will only get worse. May I ask why you’re changing your focus? 4 years studying business, only to change your mind after a few months, doesn’t make any sense.

Contrary to what another poster suggested, the undergrad business degree will not be an asset. At all.

Good luck.
To answer your question, I found myself feeling unfulfilled in business. After contemplation, a career where I make a real difference to others’ lives and well-being appeals to me.

To answer your question, I found myself feeling unfulfilled in business. After contemplation, a career where I make a real difference to others’ lives and well-being appeals to me.

Actually, one could argue that running a business and keeping people employed contributes in a more meaningful way.

Your view is rather idealistic, which is nice. But “making a real difference” doesn’t happen all that often in medicine. One of a multitude of reasons why physician burnout is at an all-time high. Get some real world exposure. Best of luck.