Seeking Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myopathy2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My significant other is in a difficult situation, he recently failed his COMLEX Level 1 for the third time about a week ago. The next day, he was dismissed from our school without an option to withdrawal as our current state limits the amount of COMLEX attempts to 3. We are completely overwhelmed. To give some background, he successfully passed (our school is P/F) his first two years of medical school. During his 3rd year, he passed 4 COMATs before being pulled on his first LOA, which occurred right around the time the pandemic begun. He's been struggling with his depression and trying to care for his young children as a single parent during the pandemic, which made the studying process more difficult. He returned to school to complete his 4th year EM rotation in the fall of 2020, which he passed, at which point his 2nd failed score returned and he was pulled out again for a second LOA. I suspect that the prolonged time out of clinical rotations has hurt rather than helped him in this regard.

I cannot convey to everyone how devastating this situation is for us, we're grieving and still trying to find a way out for us. His dream is to become a physician, so much so that it has become a part of his identity, and to lose that has been difficult for him. We have no idea where to turn, he's tentatively looking at a masters degree offered by our school as a way to fill the year and for us to stay together. I am also a medical student, we were in the same class, and I am stuck for another year until I can graduate and hopefully follow him during residency. He's also considering PA/NP school, however, we're concerned that more schooling = more debt and he's already close to $400K (combined undergrad + med school). We're also considering applying to transfer to another DO school, which we know is a long shot, our only hope with that option being that our school specifically told him there was "nothing wrong with his transcript aside from the COMLEX scores." Has anyone had success with any of the options following dismissal or heard of anyone in a similar situation who could give us some guidance?

Thank you everyone,

Myopathy2

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
He has some things to work through, by himself. But how are you and your own self care? What are your own dreams and your plans/actions to fulfill them?

It's easy to be overshadowed and lose sight of one's individuality and purpose when involved in a relationship where the other is spectacularly succeeding or spectacularly failing.

Reactions: 3 users
Very, very sorry you two are in this predicament. I would only consider a transfer (although I feel the likelihood of that happening is slim as well) if you can get to the bottom of why he is failing COMLEX. You can't get around passing it and if he transfers and fails it again it just means more debt accumulated.

A cliche question, but he should really ponder why does he truly want to be a physician? Answering that may help him decide where he should focus his efforts in similar careers or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only chance to become a physician IMO is to restart med school and restart the clock. And likely that means going down the Carib pathway at this point. He is not likely to become a physician, and I wouldn’t recommend.

I would consider applying PA if he can mentally deal with working with physicians when he isn’t one. I also like PA cause there is only one test, and it’s easier than medicine. Being a doctor is a never ending sea of board exams. I have already done 4, and still have to take my residency boards in a couple years and then repeat in 10 years if I want to stay board certified. It’s a hamster wheel that never ends. PA is one and done to my understanding. Especially if board exams where the issue, this is a better route. Ditto for NP, but that path will take him longer. If he is not about to handle being anything but a physician, I would avoid healthcare completely and go into tech, engineering, etc. he could also go non school completely and drive trucks. That was my old backup plan, I knew if I didn’t make it in medicine I wanted nothing to do with healthcare.

Anyway I wish you guys good luck on the decision, this definitely sucks, but you will make it through.

Only chance to become a physician IMO is to restart med school and restart the clock. And likely that means going down the Carib pathway at this point. He is not likely to become a physician, and I wouldn’t recommend.
Really, really bad advice here. The Carib predators will be only too happy to accept the OP's spouse, take his tuition money, and then dismiss him once he fails Step I.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, may want to consider podiatry, as it is very noncompetitive. DPMs have more autonomy than a PA (in a sense), though your specialty is locked to the foot and ankle (a surprisingly diverse field of medicine). DPM board exams are also easier, but the debt load is high, and the salary may not be enough to make up for it.

Really, really bad advice here. The Carib predators will be only too happy to accept the OP's spouse, take his tuition money, and then dismiss him once he fails Step I.
Literally said I would not recommend. It’s in the quote.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, may want to consider podiatry, as it is very noncompetitive. DPMs have more autonomy than a PA (in a sense), though your specialty is locked to the foot and ankle (a surprisingly diverse field of medicine). DPM board exams are also easier, but the debt load is high, and the salary may not be enough to make up for it.

OP was dismissed, he won't get in a Pod program. The best chance is to appeal (if possible) at the current school and restart from year 1 or go for the nursing route and aim for an NP, as stated above. Getting into a PA program these days is more difficult than medical schools, imo.

OP was dismissed, he won't get in a Pod program. The best chance is to appeal (if possible) at the current school and restart from year 1 or go for the nursing route and aim for an NP, as stated above. Getting into a PA program these days is more difficult than medical schools, imo.
That last line is false. Maybe the Caribbean is easier to get into than PA, but the majority of DO are much more difficult to get into than PA. The MCAT alone ensures that.